Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:31 pm

I'd syringe plain Pediayte. And if you follow the handfeeding guidelines, they're less likely to 'spit out' the slurry.

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:36 pm

what is Pediayte Ive never heard of it do they sell it in uk

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:37 pm

If she's just had IV fluids, then she doesn't need syringed water.

If she's cold, don't handfeed her (not that you were).

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:37 pm

pixie has just been throwing her head back and waving her front legs around but she has settled now. What does it mean?

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:39 pm

so what am I suppose to do for her mum

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:41 pm

why the snide comment mum I have been hand feeding them all you wouldnt know

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:43 pm

and she had iv fluids at about 4.30pm thats over 5 hours ago so since she hasnt been drinking herself she must need them fluids re-placing. iv fluids dont last forever

Melody R

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:54 pm

Pedialyte is a liquid made for human babies and children who are losing fluids (from vomiting and diarrhea etc) -- it's kind of like a "water" enhanced with electrolytes and other things to keep babies from getting dehydrated. I have had great success with it on GPs, birds, and even lizards! I don't know if they have that brand in the UK but look for a electrolyte-enhanced liquid to be given to babies who may be getting dehydrated. Supposedly the unflavored is better for GPs, but in a pinch I have used the flavored (cherry/apple) ones okay. I think it's kind of a kiddie version of Gatorade (sports drinks).

Re the throwing the head back and waving front legs - could she possibly have had a small seizure? Otherwise I don't know what would cause this.

Good luck and our prayers are with you. I know how exasperating it can be!!!!!!

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:10 pm

oh I know what you mean its called dioralyte over hear, I have some in but they only come in blackcurrent flavours.

How much should I use?

How much fluid should I be aiming to get into her?

Do you think too much fluid in her could of caused the seizure or stress?

I know pixie doesnt neeed this but how long can you keep baytrill for Ive just found some

Melody R

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:47 pm

I don't know about dioralyte, but I don't think you can overdo Pedialyte. I use it instead of water when mixing the hand feeding food (Critical Care). And sometimes I will syringe some of it to them directly if they are not drinking on their own. If they are using a water bottle, I supposed you could put some in it or mix with the drinking water.

I'm sorry but I don't really know the answers to your other questions. Fortunately I've had relatively few GP issues, other than I have one now with pneumonia - but who seems to be recovering well, thank goodness.

Wishing you and your little ones the best!!!!!

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:05 pm

Pixie died half an hour ago. We love you little baby Pixie xxxx

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm so sorry you lost Pixie. You did your best.