Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm so sorry about the little one.

Reginasunrae

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:20 pm

I just read through this whole thread and I'm so sorry you've had such a trying time. Hopefully things will look up for you.

No, worms don't eat dirt. They're nature's little fertilizers, eating all types of dead veggie matter and turning it into rich nutrients for the soil.

Melody R

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:28 pm

Ellissian- so very sorry about your loss. I was really pulling for you. It is amazing how these tiny creatures capture our hearts.

I had to go to a meeting and logged back in as soon as I got home - so sorry to see the bad news. Take comfort in the fact that at least you tried to give the baby a fighting chance! Sometimes even if we do everything right, things go wrong.

The Critical Care and pedialyte does seem to really help. Maybe you can stock some up for the future. I always keep them both on hand just in case.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:30 pm

I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to loose a tiny one that you are fighting for. It hurts real bad.

slfalzone

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 pm

I am truly sorry to hear about your little one.

Topaz

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 pm

Honestly, I'm finding it very disturbing to read this thread. And frustrating.

Laura

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:46 am

Oh, no. I'm so sorry.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:52 am

I'm so sorry to hear about Pixie. Reading stories like this is making me want to get over my fear of needles and learn to do subcues myself. How are the others doing?

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:06 am

Honestly, I'm finding it very disturbing to read this thread. And frustrating.
Same here.

ellissian

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:24 am

why do you find it disturbing?

Topaz

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:45 am

I find it disturbing that these babies are dying and no one on here can do anything to stop it. In your post where you stated that the baby was doing some motion(I forget how you phrased it) with it's front legs, I knew he/she was dying.

And I know you won't like to hear this, but it seems as if you really aren't accepting the advice you're getting on here to help them to the fullest. It was fairly straightforward instructions you were given first off to AGGRESSIVELY forcefeed, and not to give any cow's milk or milk-based products. I'm not trying to upset you or put the blame on you(it could have happened regardless of what you gave them or did...who knows), but even after being told that milk could harm the babies, you insisted on giving it to them. And you keep stating that it's the only thing you can get in them, which I can't understand. ??? And to me, that's like saying, "I'm giving them soda because it's the only thing I can get into them". I'd think if something is harmful for them, it'd even just be better to give them NOTHING, or water, or ANYthing else, rather than something harmful.

Again, I'm not trying to upset you, and I know you want these babies to be o.k., and I'm not there to watch you care for these babies so I can't point any fingers, and I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but you DID ask why I find this disturbing, so I'm telling you.

Bottom line is, I'm sitting here knowing what I think is best for the babies and can't do anything about it, except to read about and feel sad as each one dies. And some of the gals on here who really know guinea pigs are giving you some very good advice, which you seem to be finding excuses not to follow. This is frustrating(and disturbing) to me. And I"m wondering why you aren't bringing them to the vet at this point, after losing two of them, so they can look them over and maybe show you how to get the critical care into them?

Again, these babies may not have pulled through regardless, but I guess I just feel as if I might handle things a bit differently.

Laura

ellissian

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:27 am

I have taken them the the vets on the day there mother died and I asked the vet what I should do with them. She looked at them said they were skinny and scrawny and that they should be eating solid foods by now. I told her they were not, she said they soon will. She offered me nothing to care for them at all. Pixie was a the vets yesterday and all the other babies are going this afternoon.

I know you dont agree feeding them baby milk that was evident from the start. I have consulted other forums, phoned cavy rescue centres and all of them have said to feed baby milk, there is even a link on this site for weak babies by mette the vette, she also says to feed baby milk. So can you understand why I fed them milk when 90 percent of people advised me on this.

My intention was to look after these babies not kill them I love them all so much and equally the same, its broke my heart when each one of the died.

And I am putting all my time and effort into ensuring the remaining 3 stay alive. I am not just leaving them in a cage all day and crossing my fingers and hoping they will be ok. I have barely slept since they were born they are all I can think about. Im like a walking zombie crying most of the time. And no Im not looking for sympathy I am just trying to stress how important there life is to me.

I find the advice on forums far better than any advice my vets give, they just dont seem interested. American vets must care more.

It would help if someone explained in detail what you mean by aggressive hand feeding

Wendy