Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

twofinepigs

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:01 am

It's all on the link:

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Aggressive hand-feeding = syringe feeding. The aggressive part is that you don't worry if they WANT it or if they are ENJOYING it, you do it to keep them alive. You figure out how much food they need and you use the syringe properly to get it into them. The page also addresses milk products.

I'm sorry about the baby.

ellissian

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:20 am

So basically its force feeding them, which I dont have a problem with if it keeps them alive.

I have a problem with knowing how much to feed them with them being so small, and since you are forceing them to eat I wouldnt be sure when they are full.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:32 am

ellissian, you must be exhausted.

Read the link twofinepigs has given you. It will tell you what you need to get started with handfeeding.

I feel for you about the vet issue. When you first started posting, I thought you had a cavy-saavy vet and was all excited because I'd be willing to drive to Hartlepool for a good vet. Mine are very sympathetic, but not very experienced. I'd always take advice here at GL over what the vet says. I wouldn't trust any other site.

twofinepigs

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:46 am

The link says a minimum of 1-2 cc's every 1-2 hours for infants. For older pigs you can calculate by weight.

If you are beginning syringe-feeding, I'm sure the experienced members here can give you ongoing advice on quantity.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:07 am

Which vet was you went to, as I think you would do better finding another one.

I know it can be hard here in the UK, but first off visit this website to find a vet in your area which should have more of an idea of cavy issues. Look for an accredited one for small animals and preferably one that lists exotics as this is what cavies are listed under. Also don't be afraid when you phone up to ask if they have treated many guinea pigs or anyone in the practice has any of their own.

Emergency supplies can be bought online from Thistle Cavies online shop here including different syringes and Oxbow Critical Care, scroll to the bottom of the page. You can also contact them for advice as they have had many babies in various states of health over the years. They would also tell you not to give the milk though and to hand feed little and often.

At the very least your vet should have given you Supreme Science Recovery which is another handfeeding supplement that UK vets 'should' have if they don't have the Oxbow Critical Care.

Forget Mette the Vet I'm afraid there is far more up-to-date vet advice elsewhere that isn't concerned primarily with breeding.

ellissian

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:55 am

there are only two in this town mine is caled clifton lodge and the other one bridge is worse than mine one of my cats came back in appauling condition when she got neutered at bridge.

Just got some digital scales popcorn weighs 69g, chilli weighs 62g and pepper 59g. Going to the vets now

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:13 pm

Thanks, Webs! That's a great site. I may be able to find a better vet within 20 miles of home now.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:56 pm

Ellissian Said :
I already know how to hand feed guinea pigs Ive done it lots of times when my other guinea pigs have been ill. Ive even hand reared a runt before...
I am bothered by how you came to have to pregnant sows. I am further bothered by how this is apparently not the first time.

If this is to be a routine occurance, I'd suggest you invest in milk replacement formula, and Critical Care.

It is my understanding that this is the closest to a guinea pig's own milk : http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/ ... D=1&PLID=1

*Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that account.

ellissian

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:40 pm

If you have nothing nice to say piggiemamma dont bother reading my thread. ok

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:30 pm

I don't believe it is the intention of this forum to 'say nice things', I believe it is to give valuable medical advice.

And furthermore, you did pose the question "why do you find this disturbing".

If you want people to stroke your ego and tell you what you'd like to hear, I suggest you join another forum.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:15 pm

Piggiemamma, I hadn't seen that milk replacer before. I'll check the numbers (the numbers are probably O.K., it's the ingredients that are the problem). Generally speaking, since cavies are so precocious they do the best on something like Critical Care alone and no milk replacer.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Oh my goodness. I actually started to read the rest of this thread, then had to stop. You all are being incredibly patient, I think. I couldn't read the entire thing. :(