Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks Jo. Let me know (honestly) what you think about the composition of the formula. I'd thought it'd be a good thing to keep on hand when I've got my rescue up in running (in a few years time).
I couldn't read the entire thing.
It has been a difficult pill to swallow.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:52 pm

Actually, the numbers are WAY off. Here's what I have for the numbers of cavy milk:

8.1% protein
3.9% fat
3 % lactose

Here is the formula:
32% Protein
40% Fat
15% Carbohydrates

Not even close. In addition, it is full of corn syrup (bad for humans and other animals alike), milk by-products, and plain vegetable oil. How is that supposed to equal cavy milk? It is so easy to raise cavy orphans compared to other animal babies. You can do it even with inappropriate milk replacers or with more biologically correct foods. Either way. 1 hour old or several days old. Short of putting them with another lactating sow, getting them on solid food is the best for their GI tracts and development. We can't duplicate mom's milk. It just isn't happening.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:59 pm

Angela had a couple of practically newborn babies that she was able to handfeed from the beginning (maybe a couple of days old).

Done properly, and with patience, babies can be handfed with critical care and do just fine.

I did tell elissian that, way back at the beginning before either of the babies died. I gave her specific instructions with specific amounts. I told her again, and again.

Elissian isn't really here for advice clearly.

This is a total waste of time - poor little babies.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:04 pm

I know. I had 2 pups from a mom that died of dystocia that I hand-raised from birth on (never nursed, which debunked a lot of Old Wives' Tales) as well as several from a few days old that lost their moms to toxemia or other health problems. Not a big deal, really. A lot easier than nursing a pig with pneumonia or something.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:15 pm

Jo, I may just contact Fox Valley and ask why they are advertising that formula as acceptable for cavy use.
Elissian isn't really here for advice clearly.
Clearly.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:27 pm

I've got a 'Snuggle Puppie' for fostering orphaned animals (which, strangely enough, I haven't had to do since getting the Snuggle Puppie).

See : http://www.sitstay.com/store/toys/snugglepup.shtml

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:33 pm

I looked after Angela's orphans (one boy, one girl) for a day when they were about a week old - she had them in a wonderful, extra puffy snuggly bed that they seemed very comfortable in. And they did love their critical care! (And yes, they had to be fed around the clock).

When they were 21 days old they came into the rescue here, and I paired each baby with a same sex mate and was eventually able to adopt them both out. I hear that they're both doing very well now.

Interestingly enough, they weren't particularly 'tame' as they became older. They far preferred the company of their adult friends - and I believe still do - although they will now just tolerate The Hand!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:40 am

Ditto. They were fine on pellet mash, pedialyte and CC.

barb5417
For all Wonkys & Winkys

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:18 am

Again, I have to say that, clearly, you are not here to help your poor pigs!
I, too, am concerned as to how you get so many pregnant sows?
The people that tried to help your pigs should be commended for their patience. They tolerated you in order to try to save your babies. Even when it was clear that you weren't following their adivce, they kept trying.
Finally, you promised never to visit this forum again, since you were being critisized for not taking the adivce that you sought. And you are still here? Could that be, because this forum is the best place for the most knowledgeable advice?
Hum............ Then maybe you should take it.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:08 am

ellissian has posted on Pimms Pages too, a UK site, and has bred pigs before but the information here on GL is far better. The Oxbow CC or Science Recovery are far better than Complan and are meant for small herbivores.

If she has contacted Thistle the little ones will still have a better chance, as long as it's not too late already.

Kermie831

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:46 am

Our babies were hand fed from 2 days. Our vet suggested a bottle since I was nervous about aspiration issues with a syringe. The babies took to it wonderfully and it was easy to measure after each feeding. (Do not know if this is ok or not, but it worked) and after a week of being up every hour or two and letting them watch the older pigs eat solids (monkey see, monkey do, I think). They transitioned to a regular diet and chubbed up quicky. They are now 6 weeks old and holy terrors :)

It was a wonderful learning and bonding experience, but not something I want to do again!

Thank you GL for all your advice and encouragement thru our hard times!

ellissian

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:02 am

What do I need to contact thistle for the babies have been on science recovery for 3 days now.

I find that pimms pages are not as harsh as the people on this one I feel like a witch being hunted here.

If Im not here to help the pigs why am I here exactly!!!!