Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

barb5417
For all Wonkys & Winkys

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:32 am

"If Im not here to help the pigs why am I here exactly!!!!"

I just don't know.

Elly

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:53 am

I find that pimms pages are not as harsh as the people on this one I feel like a witch being hunted here.
That would be because Pimms is full of breeders looking to pat each other on the back.

This site actually cares more about the animals then hurting your feelings.

Clearly you are here looking for a pat on the back and not to truly help these poor babies. GL is known as THE website for GP care and keeping. The advice on here is sound and often well advanced beyond what most other websites offer because the people here are interested in the science and not the breeder myths that are handed down.

Keep listening to breeder myths and keep killing animals or get your head out of your arse and pay attention to actual science.

toriandlukesmom2

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:07 pm

I thought I might add my 2 cents to the subject of warming aids.

I hand-reared a week and a half old kitten. At our local feed/pet supply store I found a disc that you put in the microwave to warm, then wrap in a towel and place under the animal. It cost around $45, but was worth every penny. It can be reheated for 6 years.

It stayed warm for 12 hours, and at around 11 hours, my kitten would actually start squeaking for it to be re-heated.

Here is a link to the disc. When I bought mine 2 years ago, the local "chain" petstores did't have anything comprable.

I noticed the company also had a UK link.

Becky

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:12 pm

Oh, boy.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.

The emergency/medical pages really are not the place for this type of debate. It would be so much better if we strictly offered whatever advice we have to give, encourage people and if necessary, point out that certain advice has been given.

Beyond that, take it elsewhere. You can think anything you want about how a person is dealing with something, but start a thread in general chat or cavy chat to give them your opinions about how they're breeding/not breeding/ etc.

Frankly, if a person doesn't take my advice after I've explained myself clearly, that's it for me. Is she looking for a pat on the back? Who knows! What difference does it make? Don't give it to her if you feel that's what is happening.

The emergency forum is for medical and emergency advice. I implore you all to keep it that way and start a new thread elsewhere to discuss ethical issues.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:13 pm

Ellissian - If you are planning on sticking around, at least do us the decency to follow the advice you are given.

And please, use proper punctuation. Your posts are difficult to read.

Read : https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30411

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:41 pm

Ellissian Said :
I feel like a witch being hunted here.
Oops. Freudian slip?

Onihrapiggy

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:49 pm

This thread is certainly getting a lot of attention. More than it really deserves I think. I have read posts that are much more deserving of more replies than this one, yet here this thread is on its seventh page!!!

Whats the expression "beating a dead horse". That may apply here. All the relevant advice has been given on these pigs and if this person chooses not to take it, well I guess that is their right, whether we like it or not. Lets stop arguing with Ellissian and just let this person decide for themselves what the right thing to do is.

ellissian

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:10 pm

I have followed advice why do you think I bought the science recovery from the vets!

My head is not up my arse as someone put it, and no I do not want a pat on the back.

And just incase anyone cares the babies are doing fine, not that anyone bothered to ask. They are eating solid food, gaining weight and kimmi the foster sow has let them fed from her today.

Not that anyone had bothered to ask they just wanted a slanging match, just grow up and get of your high horses. Everyone one makes mistakes you cant tell me none of you have in your life.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:14 pm

I'm glad to hear the other mommy is feeding them. That's got to be the best news yet! And the fact they are gaining weight.

Now that this crisis seems to be closing, maybe you can make sure all males are separated so there are no more babies?

Reginasunrae

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:22 pm

ellissian, I'm glad to read they are doing well.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:41 pm

Me too, and glad you got your Science Recovery. I didn't mean to duplicate info and only suggested Thistle if you weren't going to come back here you'd still possibly be in need of good info. I've been helping them recently with a big rescue operation in which there were many undernourished pregnant sows which didn't all survive so I know they are capable there.

Most people tend to get a hard time if their first posts are medical and they are a little sceptical of the replies. Keep coming back as it will be worth it in the end, honest!

ellissian

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:54 pm

Thanks for explaining webs, heres me thinking it was just me that got a hard time.

I mean, if I didnt care for the babies I wouldnt of contacted anyone for help would I?