Maggots on a burst CL lump-gross!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:10 pm

It might be worth the money, though. Imagine a dog losing 30% of the skin on his back from infection and teeming with maggots. Not fun. Ah, I miss my early days in Veterinary Medicine...

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Would the maggots go into the blood stream or tissues?
Josephine is more qualified to answer than I. I believe the maggots can live on the dead (necro) flesh, but I do not believe they can enter the blood-stream.

I once saw a Discovery Health Program - maggots used for therapeutic purposes. A young woman had terrible lacerations all over her legs, and the maggots were used to insure they wounds were 'cleaned' of pus and dead flesh.

I think you know, be very careful with the pus. CL can be highly toxic to humans too. If you have some - I'd where gloves while handling the sick piggy - and be sure to wash up well afterwards.

I'm sorry you have to be the one to do all this - but thankful at the same time you were there. Good luck!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:13 pm

You may also want to call animal control, Dept. of Ag. or whoever polices/regulates pet stores in this store's jurisdiction and tell them about it. How many more are in the store's back room with the same conditions?

May be helpful:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2645
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34351

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:11 pm

Armed with the povidone iodine and water and baytril, I just brought her out for a closer look.

The rupture spot has scabbed over and no sign of maggots.

I syringed the iodine mixture over the scabbed area.

I can tell that there is still a lump under the scab. Poor thing, I assume that it will form up again.

Should I treat the other pig with Bactrim or just watch her?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:17 pm

You will need to soften the scab so you can open it to flush. Fun!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:22 pm

Einstein had a cheek abscess, not CL, but it had to be reopened for flushing twice a day. I still wasn't able to get it out, even though it seemed to be healed up, and the abscess recurred a month later. The vet dug out more of it the second time and it healed fine (although his tooth root was infected and eventually died).

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ess#525329

If you could possibly swing it, I would definitely want to have the abscess and other lump taken out. If the maggots are in the encapsulated lymph node abscess, hopefully they won't have spread too far.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:42 pm

There's some evidence that ivermectin may help kill maggots:

Good article

I would give it orally or injected. Or else squirt it into the wound after you clean it out.

(Edited to shorten link. Talishan)

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Wow, thank you Salana. I do think it warrants a vet visit.

I just want to thank all of you who "man" the medical thread.

It is such a great comfort to know that knowledgable people are available to assist when we are in need.

Thank you Josephine, Talishan, SylvesterPiggie, Mum, PiggieMamma and Salana.

AND thank you Lyn for making GL possible.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:13 pm

I can tell that there is still a lump under the scab. Poor thing, I assume that it will form up again.
Sorry, you're going to have to pull the scab off and flush the abscess out again.

This happened with Millie when I thought she was almost healed. Luckily, it only needed a couple more days after the scab came off and the crud was flushed out!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Yes, definitely remove the scab and continue flushing as others have mentioned.

Now and then I check in at the right time on my lunch hour!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:37 pm

I like Talishan's advice to have the pet store cover some of the cost of treating this poor little pig.

One caution with ivermectin is that if a parasite dies in an enclosed area, you can have it rot inside the body and cause serious problems and death -- at least this is what happens with bot fly larvae in cows (if I remember right). Intestinal parasites are passed out of the body. Fly larvae don't have anywhere to go and must be carefully removed, as Josephine mentions.

I think these two little pigs are very lucky you're helping them, Barbara!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:45 pm

Poor little thing.
I get the idea that the lady has not even handled the pig before, so that is a good thing you have made the discovery...