Collar to prevent suture removal

Terp04

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:59 pm

Freddie had surgery today to remove a hair follicle cyst near his hip. When we went to pick him up at the vet, he had chewed through his sutures. The sutures were redone and we are now monitoring him to keep him from pulling out the sutures again. I read that Kleenmama was able to make a stapled collar. We would appreciate any help with making a collar. We're not sure what else to do besides watching him 24/7. He is not on any pain medication or antibiotics. Thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:39 am

You also might try bandaging if you can manage. Or Chew Guard. Check here: www.guinealynx.info/bandaging.html

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:44 am

Interfacing. Makes a nice e-collar that is lightweight and stiff, but soft enough not to injure them if they run it into something.

poppypiggy

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:51 am

I can't find the link, but I think somebody posted here a while ago about some sort of "bodysuit" they had made from a sock for their newly operated piggy. I am not sure if it will work, but if the collar doesn't do the trick it might be worth trying.

Good luck with little Freddies recovery!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:59 am

The bandage link shows how you can do that.

poppypiggy

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:11 am

Oh thanks, Lynx! Good to know if I should need it!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:28 pm

Watch him carefully for signs of pain. Even a relatively minor surgery like this is still surgery, and he may hurt. Weigh him at least twice a day, at roughly the same times each day, to make sure he doesn't lose weight.

https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

If he appears to be in pain and/or loses weight, call the vet for some pain medication. Metacam is a good choice. If they tell you he won't eat with a pain med, they're wrong. Metacam is an NSAID and does *not* make them drowsy or less likely to eat, any more than an Advil would do the same to you.

Collars aren't the best choice for cavies (although I like the idea of the interface material, which is softer and bendable). They can't retrieve their cecotropes; they'll have difficulty getting into or out of a hide box or pigloo; they'll have difficulty running into a pile of hay to eat it and they'll have difficulty with a water bottle. Some flat-out freak and go wild, possibly injuring their limbs and/or backs, until it's off.

Staples sometimes make a less chew-prone closure. The cut-off sock sounds like the best choice to me.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:18 pm

Suzi had a sock sweater, but she stepped right out of it after I took this picture:

Terp04

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:50 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Talishan, thanks for the drawbacks of collars. Freddie loves his igloo and I didn't even think that he may not be able to get in and out.

It has been 2 days, and the sutures look good. He is eating and drinking and wants to come out of his cage for some play time - which we are not going to let him do for a few more days.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:55 pm

When Millie had her sutures I asked Dr. R about collars and he said he doesn't like to use them on pigs because pigs have no necks. Then there is them not being able to reach their food and the pigaloo entrance problems. He suggested bandaging using vet wrap (not too tight of course). It sticks to itself so is hard for them to chew off.