Maggots on a burst CL lump-gross!

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Oh Good! I am glad for you both (and the piggies)

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:42 pm

Good job Barbara. I hope the pigs recover fine and this becomes another happy ending.

Onihrapiggy

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:50 am

Completely off topic, but Barbara you have a swimming pool right outside of your bedroom!!!??? That is awesome. I'm jealous.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Barbara any updates yet? You did such a wonderful thing to help these poor girls. I sure hope they will get all well. Bless you for all your kindness.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:49 pm

How are the girls?

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:50 pm

Ok, Sandy called Dr. Harper this afternoon and nothing has been done. She was in the neighborhood so she went in and brought the GP's home.

This vet says that he was only given authoirization to do an exam not a culture or a surgery. So he did nothing else.

He is prescibing chloramphenical for antibiotics. Is that OK?

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:54 pm

Chlor is something you need to watch out for, pigs can lose appetence and crash quick with it. You should also have gloves for when you administer it.

grrrr to petno.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Well, now you know how that works.

Chloro is fine, just watch for intolerance, since it can have a reputation like Baytril.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:56 pm

If they're not giving probiotics, I'd push for them to start. It's never a bad idea when a pig is on antibiotics.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:07 pm

"This vet says that he was only given authoirization to do an exam not a culture or a surgery. So he did nothing else."

Of course not. He's petno's lack ... err, contract veterinarian.

Ditto BL, Josephine and Chii. Chlor penetrates bone, pus, and just about everything else in the body. In the absence of a culture, it's as good a broad-spectrum place to start, in my opinion, as any. Probiotics are even more important than "usual".

The only pig so far we've had to use it on did fine with it. As BL mentions, they can crash and crash fast and hard on it; see Slfalzone's thread on Teddy for details.

It can set up a fatal aplastic anemia in the human, which is not dose-dependent; that is, a tiny bit in a small cut on Sandy's hand is as likely (or not) to cause a problem as a large amount. The incidence is small, but Sandy needs to wear cheap disposable gloves when she is drawing and administering the dose, and wash her hands afterward. She just needs to be careful, not paranoid. Does she have small children? If so, they need not to be able to get anywhere near it.

If the vet at least did an exam, what were the results of his exam? Did he find "lumps", evidence of maggots? What was his assessment of their overall condition?
Last edited by Talishan on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:09 pm

They had the pigs overnight and they gave them no food other than what I had put in their cage yesterday morning.

Sandy got the impression from him that she should just go pick out two more pigs from PETCO.

Dr. Harper was very patronizing to Sandy and then to me on the phone. He chatized me for giving the pig Bactrim. He was a real creep on the phone.

I told Sandy that I would take them to my vet and I would pay for the treatment.

Sandy is coming over to my house tomorrow morning to get my Bactrim to get Snuggles on it again. Why wait until Monday for his Chloramphenicol? Why not start with Bactrim and see how it does?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:15 pm

Bactrim has a more limited range of action than chlor or Baytril. If you're shooting in the dark, you want a shotgun, not a rifle, because you don't know what you're shooting at. (Josephine, please correct me if I'm off-base here). It may also mess up a culture that a real vet (yours) will do.

If I were Sandy and/or you, I'd file a respectful, professional complaint against the creep with your state's licensing agency.

How are they doing otherwise? Are they eating, drinking, urinating, defecating ... acting normal or normal-ish?

"Sandy got the impression from him that she should just go pick out two more pigs from PETCO."

Of course. He works for petno and has their interests, not the patients', in first place.