Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

ellissian

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:39 pm

two of the babies are getting good milk feeds from kimi, and eating solids regulary.

Do they still need science recovery? if so for how long?

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:48 pm

I would keep it up for a few days yet until they are making significant progress in their weights then gradually reduce it.

You can check on progress charts near the bottom of this link on baby weights.
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Topaz

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm so glad the babies are doing well. Good job. :)

Laura

Melody R

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:17 pm

Keep us updated on the babies' progress -- hope they continue to do so well!!!!!

ellissian

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:03 am

[img]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289 ... IM0609.jpg[/ig]

Here is a photo of Popcorn (the only surviving baby) and Kimmi the foster sow. You can see Popcorns bald patches on this photo

[Your pic is TOO BIG! - post links only!!!!-Lynx]

Topaz

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:17 am

Popcorn is adorable.

Why does he/she have bald patches? Do they have mites? What did the vet say? I can't remember if you'd mentioned the bald patches in a previous post.

Laura

ellissian

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:25 am

Well according to the vet she doesnt, but I havent seen this vet before to know if she is good or not.

The vet thinks it may be stress related with losing her mother and siblings and that she may not have got enough colostrum from her own mother.

I have to take her back in a week if she is still losing fur.

Topaz

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:55 am

I have a couple of other questions that just popped into my head....

Last I knew, there were two babies. I assume the other didn't make it? What happened?

And this baby looks a bit small to me for it's age(maybe it's just the picture?). How much does popcorn weigh? Is he/she gaining weight? Is he/she nursing now or just eating pellets/hay, etc...? Are you still feeding the critical care?

And lastly, are you planning on breeding again?

Don't mean to give you the third degree but am still a bit concerned about this last baby and what your future plans are...

Laura

ellissian

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:08 am

Pepper died on Saturday and Chilli on Tuesday. I dont know or understand why as they were feeding ok and gaining weight. When I found them both they were laying on there sides and struggeling to get up, they felt cold and they died shortly after. What I cant understand is that they were both perfectly fine and feeding ok an hour or so before they died. They were not feeding off Kimmi but I cant see how that would make a difference if they were being fed science recovery every 2 hours.

Popcorn weighs 125g today which is a big improvement as she only weighed 69g last Friday. I am not feeding her science recovery anymore, she is feeding off Kimmi, eating hay, pellets and fruit and vegetables all the time. She is full of energy and is running and pocorning all the time.

Apart from her hair loss Popcorn is perfect.

And no I will never ever ever breed again! Ive certainly learnt my lesson. It wasnt supposed to be like this at all. If I want anymore guinea pigs in the future I will buy them and definately not breed.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:11 am

I know you meant to say you will *adopt* or *rescue* them, not buy them.

Right?

ellissian

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:14 am

To be honest with you, until I came accross this site I never realised how many guinea pigs needed adopting. We dont have a guinea pig rescue near were I live but Im sure they may be some in Tyneside somewhere.

We do have a RSPCA about 30 miles away, they may rescue them, but I really dont know.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:26 am

I'm so sorry to hear you lost two more! What an ordeal you've been through.

If you would like more piggies, people on this board will help you find them. There is a rabbit rescue in Richmond. They sometimes have guinea pigs, too. I don't know much about it, except that it is there.