Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:36 am

Its called Bunny Burrows, and they have quite a few guinea's in at the moment.

Worth a look!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:17 am

ellissian, please use links to your pictures instead of displaying them with image tags. Your pics are too big to display.

ellissian

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:10 pm

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289 ... IM0609.jpg

Sorry Lynx, I think Ive done it right now

ellissian

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:11 pm

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289 ... IM0604.jpg

Heres another one with her adopted sister Hazel, who is a week younger than Popcorn

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:54 pm

And no I will never ever ever breed again! Ive certainly learnt my lesson.
What a terrible way to learn a lesson, I'm sorry you've lost so many of them. I hope the remaining one continues to thrive - and hangs in there for you.

So glad you've found Guinea Lynx.

ellissian

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:04 pm

I know it was an awful way to learn a lesson at the expense of the poor little ones lives.

Hopefully Popcorn will be ok, but more of her fur has fell out. Apart from the fur on her head (which feel soft and glossy) the rest of her fur feel very dry and out of condition.

Topaz

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:21 pm

Ellissian, I have to be honest with you here. To me, Popcorn doesn't look too good in that photo. I think you really need to find a cavy savvy vet to look at him. Especially after hearing that he's losing more and more hair. That sounds bad.

Also, is that iceburg lettuce? I think that's one of the least nutritious lettuces. He probably could use some dark leafy greens as opposed to the iceburg. There's some great info on this site regarding proper nutrition for pigs.

Another question, is that pine bedding? That's another no-no. Again, excellent info on here about choosing the right bedding.

You said he's nursing? And getting critical care? I hope he is. Seeing that picture really has me concerned though. I'd get him to a vet ASAP.

This is just my opinion and I don't want to tell you what to do or make you feel bad. And I'm certainly no expert. Just want to see this little guy be o.k, as I'm sure you do.

Laura

lisam

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:24 pm

Another question, is that pine bedding? That's another no-no.

Actually, pine bedding if fine if it is kiln dried. Many of us use it.

Topaz

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:30 pm

Yes, I remember reading that. Guess I should have specified....

ellissian

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:58 pm

I couldnt tell you if it is pine bedding or not as the packaging doesnt state what it is. Although I had read somewhere about the dangers.

We only have two vets in the town I live in and the one I go to is listed as being an accredited exotic vets. So I dont really know what to to with her as they told me not to go back till Thursday, as she thinks her fur loss is stress related or because she hasnt had enough colostrum. Yes she is still feeding from Kimmi and no I am no longer feeding science recovery as she was gaining so much weight on the food she is eating.

Her fur isnt shiny at all but she has bags of energy so I dont know what to do for her. Maybe it may be because she didnt get the best start in life and I fed her incorrect food for the 1st week of her life.

I really dont know what could be wrong with her fur and what to do with the vets. So any advice on her fur condition would be appreciated.

ellissian

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:03 pm

I dont feed them iceburg lettuce in large quantities since I read from this site that it has little nutrition in it. Her favourite seems to be cucumber and dandilion greens. But there isnt many greens around since its winter.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:03 pm

I have used pine bedding. You can always air it out if you're worried.