Maggots on a burst CL lump-gross!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:15 pm

Yes. Barbara, I can't blame you for wanting to try, but this is not new news to any of us. Thank goodness, the pig is eating and didn't go hypoglycemic or something.

Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with the Bactrim for now. It's really safe.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:18 pm

You know, Talishan, that is a great argument about the antibiotics--especially since it probably is a nasty microbe. Most guinea pig abscesses are more of a challenge than abscesses in other areas.

Barbara, can you get the pig to your vet in the next day or so?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to file a complaint. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like the vet did anything that could be reprimanded or fined. He was only acting through the "owner" which in this case was Petco since they were authorizing (or not) treatment.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:30 pm

Well since Petno decided not to treat them properly and they were obviously very sick with MAGGOTS for crying out loud I'd yell kick and scream you were going to the press and corporate higher ups (not that it would matter). Bad, bad PR though. Keep copies of all the bills. That can't get away with this.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:55 pm

Ditto HollyT. Keep copies of all the bills. Start with the store manager, then work your way up. Don't hesitate to imply you will go to the press and media outlets in your area.

If the infection is in fact CL, it is very contagious, not to mention whatever horrific conditions would give rise to maggots. Call the animal control authorities, humane society, and/or Dept. of Ag. (or whatever agency oversees conditions in pet stores, regulates, and licenses them in your state). I keep thinking of the other animals in that store, sick, suffering, cold, thirsty, maggot-ridden in some back room.

Call the Health Department handling that jurisdiction. Sometimes health departments are more responsive than anyone else.

petno has worked very hard in recent months, blowing smoke and turning mirrors, to make people think they have changed their ways and treat the animals better. It is a sham, but many average, everyday folks believe it.

UNDO IT. They know that you can, and I'll bet will ultimately reimburse you.

mrpratt
Buddy-MJ-Kirk in '06

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:12 pm

Don't just imply going to the press! Coming from a publishing backround - this is news worthy. Your piggies have survived in horrific cirumstances and there are others suffering. Those who do horrible things should be held accountable. Go to the press - save some of your piggies friends.

mrpratt
Buddy-MJ-Kirk in '06

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:01 pm

I just reread that post I think I meant background!

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:59 pm

Ditto mrpratt's idea- maggots crawling on a guinea pig- it's so disgusting and sad that it'd would sell and I bet Petco's animal sales would go down, even if only for a while!

I definitely think you should go to the press.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Today I went and got a sheet of coroplast. Sandy went to Target and got grids. We built a really nice 3X2 C&C cage with the grids under to make it on a stand.

I gave her my two heathly girls that I am tyring to rehome(Mimi and Ginger). I took her PETCO GP's (Noddle and Snuggles).

Her husband by now is just so sick of hearing about Guinea Pigs and their problems. And she was afraid the size of the cage next to his HUGE flat screen might just push him over the edge.

So we left her the well ones so he can't complain about their illness, just the size of the C&C cage.

She is having a super bowl party tomorrow. I asked her to put a beach towel over the cage so visiting children won't reach into the cage.

I have Noodle and Snuggles in my room and will keep treating with bactrim. If I need to take them to a vet, I'll take them to my vet and just pay for it out of my pocket.

dribble

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:14 pm

Not knowing much about CL contagion, do you have to sterilize everything that was in her pigs' cage before putting it in the healthy pigs' cage?

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:16 pm

Yes, good point. We built a brand new cage for them.

We sterilized the hay rack, bottle and food dish before putting the well ones in it.

I should have taken photos, the cage turned out really cute.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:22 pm

How old are the kids? Does she have any spare grids she could snap together and put on top?

I know you know what kids can do.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:27 pm

She does have some extra wire shelving that are at least 42" long (which is 3 X 14" grids). I hope that she uses them.

She was concerned about how it would look. They just built a very high end custom home and tomorrow's party is to show it off for the first time. Sandy mentioned that she didn't want to "junk" up the cage.