Ginny's Medical Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:39 am

Ginny is a female and a little over a year old, as far as I can tell. I've had her since February of 2006. She's been ill four times during this period (two URIs and two UTIs). Her cagemate has been much healthier.

Last night I noticed her left eye was different. It doesn't seem to bother her. She's eating and drinking well, and has gained weight from last Saturday. I've started weighing her daily, now.

Close up: (This angle makes the white part near the eyelid look very dramatic.)
Both eyes:
I have an appointment this Tuesday with Dr. Funk (recommended on the GL vet list). This was the earliest appointment available. My local vet is not too bad with cavies, but I'd like an expert for this.

I've been reviewing all the eye information here so I'll be ready. Any advice, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:35 am

Are we looking at the iris/pupil, or the area around the eye?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:36 am

Tracis, I am no expert, but it looks very similar to Shiloe's eye here...
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ye&start=0
Let us know what the dr. says.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:35 am

TWP, I'm concerned about the iris/pupil area; the area that seems to change color. Her right eye doesn't do this, and the left never did this before, which seems odd. Hopefully, I'm just over-reacting. :)

Momo, Shiloe's eye does seem very similar!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:43 am

I wish I could offer advice. I hope it isn't serious!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:36 am

I hope it's not serious too!

Ginny's acting normally this morning. Her eye is still catching the light in an odd way though.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:55 am

Feel better Ginnygirl!! We love you!

Maja

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:00 pm

I'm not sure if it's just me, but her eye looks like a beginning stage of pea eye to me, there's something strange with her white of the eye... It would also explain her URI's... I'm sure Mum will come around soon and explain you everything ;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:25 pm

Could I add one of the pics to the site so the thread maintains continuity if your pics are moved?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:56 pm

You are doing a wonderful job keeping an eye on little Ginny, the daily weigh-ins and observations would come in handy during the appointment.

I am not sure if this is pea-eye related, but I think our little 6 yr old McMac is showing a little pea-eye in his left (facing me) eye. It is not as severe as the pictures on the guide, but it is obvoius when you groom him or pet head in a backward motion.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:22 pm

Lynx, you have my permission to add any of my pictures to the site.

Thanks everyone, for the advice and support. It really does help! :)

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:25 pm

Ahh poor Ginny. If it is like Shiloe then it seems like she may go blind in that one eye. Shiloe is blind in the bad eye and the Vet said it was not caused my an injury or age (she is only a little over 2 yrs).

Good luck with Ginny. Shiloe isnt showing any signs of this bothering her, she still zooms around and wheeks like a spoiled princess.