Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

ellissian

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:03 pm

She is getting good nutrition now. I know she wasnt in the first two weeks of her life, but now she is spoilt rotten. We call her princess Popcorn cause she gets waited it on all the time. It makes her more precious as she is the only baby to survive her litter.

She has never had any truely bald patches, this downy fur has always been there.

The new fur that has grew through is glossy and smooth, even though it is short. And its growing though a lighter shade, the fur she was born with is quite scruffy looking.

purrie

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:41 pm

daftscotslass, I have frozen the Critical Care powder and used it beyond its date.

ellissian

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:12 pm

Sorry Purrie I forgot to reply to your earlier offer of the critical care food. Sorry!!!

So is the critical care out of date?

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:40 am

Sorry again I meant Daftscotchlass, about the critical care food, duh!!

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:15 am

Ive just bought some Bob Martins My little Friend Spot On. Which is supposed to be suitable for rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and mice. There is no ingrediants on it and Ive done a web search and cant find any info on it.

Does anyone know if its safe to use?

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:38 am

It isn't. It contains pyrethrins, which although are 'natural' in that they're plant-based, are proved to be harmful to small animals - easily ingested and inhaled, can kill, my vet REFUSES to use pyrethrin products even though they're legally sold in Britain, typing fast so you see this, please don't use it!!!

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:46 am

Dont worry JC I havent used it!!!

I thought it would be best to ask first before I did.

They shouldnt be allowed to sell it should they? Especially since you can even use it on something as small as a mouse!!!

Thats disgraceful.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:47 am

Thanks for that, JC. I was wondering about the Bob Martin stuff. I refused to buy it 'cause it didn't say what it was and even online, they don't list the ingredients. That makes me think they have something to hide.

Best to get a treatment from your vet; and not ivermectin injections. Is it Revolution you need for a baby? There's a thread here somewhere that says where you can get ivermectin in the UK. My Animal Supply store won't sell it to me because it's made for sheep and I don't have sheep.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:50 am

I dont think she does have mites to be honest with you, not that I am a vet or an expert.

Her fur is growing back really fast, maybe it was stress related after all.

Thats why I asked first before I used it Bethie as they didnt list the ingrediants, which I found strange.

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:52 am

Most vets sell Revolution (but not sure if it has the same brand name here). The active ingredient is selamectin, so that's what you need to ascertain. I've just trawled through old posts and seen that people like Texasrustlers have used Revolution safely very many time, including on babies. But that's about all I can tell - no-one seems to come out and say 'it is safe for babies' and I guess that's because we don't have the tests/data to know. Even ivermectin isn't 'officially' approved for use on cavies, but my vet and others prescribe it routinely, and member of GL have iused it thousands of times over safely.

Hope that helps. You can always browse through search results from the forum - try putting in: Revolution AND babies, and check the button for 'view as posts' not threads, and see what that brings up.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:57 am

Ive just found an old post that says to use advantage on weaned pups.

Can I only get that from the vets or elsewhere?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:13 am

Advantage only kills lice, not mites.

Revolution is called Stronghold in the UK - but I've never used it on small babies, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing so. It's prescription only I believe.