Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:15 am

Mum do you think it sounds like she has mites or could her fur loss be stress related.

Its really growing back fast.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:26 am

If her hair is growing back and there's no more hairloss then it may not be mites.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:31 am

See she never had no completely bald patches, there has always been new hair growing underneath.

The fur on her tummy was really thin yesterday but today it is really thick again.

Its a mystery to me why it happened in the first place.

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:38 am

If her hair is growing back - and mainly because she's so little still - I would hold off. Keep an eye on her for more hairloss or scratching.

It wouldn't hurt to then dose all your pigs with ivermectin when they're all big enough - lots of people dose just to be sure. And I know some people think mites cannot survive off the pig, but I have held up bags of hay and bedding in Pets at Home and *seen* tiny white spots crawling around on the inside of the cellophane. Try it some time (okay, they'll think your crazy, but who cares?!) I won't buy from pet shops any more. Not only do they almost all sell small animals, so I'd be promoting breeding, but they generally smell, the animals are sickly and mite-infested, and there are various bugs aplenty in all those dried food bags, hay and bedding. I don't want to take that home with me.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:50 am

I was thinking of hold off for a while just to see how she goes, as long as that is safe for me to do.

She is 3 weeks old tomorrow and weighs 177g, not bad for a little girl who only weighed 69g ten days ago. Its just the fur situation.

Oh and mum the apology was mainly aimed at you (along with others) but mainly you as you were the one helping me the most and who I was most off hand with.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:59 am

NO to Bob Martin Spot-On. If you must get a Spot-On treatment, this is an ivermectin only one made by Beaphar which is now available here in the UK.

This one is available online and in Pets at Home.

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:03 pm

WOW, Webs, I didn't know that existed. That is great news! Thank you! That's so much easier than buying the horse paste.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:43 pm

I've tried it and the only thing I have against it is for a fully grown pig you need to use the 2 tubes as suggested. It's quite a lot in comparison to the amount the vet uses for topical so the hair can get a bit damp so it feels a little greasy for a week or 2. I wouldn't advise children handling the pigs after treatment and to wash your hands after you handle them yourself!

But yes, definitely easier on me and the pigs than the horse paste!

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:51 pm

Thanks Webs but can it be used on babies?

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:53 pm

It's still ivermectin, so no, ellissian - not on the babies.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:54 pm

Sorry Webs I was just being lazy not checking, but I have now.

Since she weighs less than 750g, Ill take that as a no.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:55 pm

Its definately good to know that it can be used on all my older pigs. We have a pets at home in the town I live in so even better.