Managing Cervical Lymphadenitis (lumps)

Avogadro

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:58 pm

Well, I finally got to the vet and he is now on Baytril. So far so good. I think that his lump is getting smaller, but it could just be my imagination. For anyone that has used Baytril, how long did it take before you noticed shrinkage? My vet said that he may always have an enlarged node. I have to go back in 3-4 weeks to have it aspirated and see if the bacteria is still present. Hopefully it will work!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:59 pm

Baytril is a powerful, broad-spectrum antibiotic and hopefully it will help him. Please watch for intolerance with this antibiotic; some guinea pigs' systems can't handle it.

If he stops eating, stops drinking, shows little interest in what's going on around him, sits in one place fluffed up, and has excessively soft stool or diarrhea, call the vet for a different antibiotic.

Please be sure to give him a probiotic an hour or two after the AB. It's especially important with Baytril.

http://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Avogadro

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:30 pm

Yeah, he did have a bit of diarrhea and no appetite yesterday, but I was able to clear it up within 12 hours with probiotics and pedialyte. He's eating, drinking, and running around like normal now. Thanks for the concern!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:52 am

Avogadro... as in avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23)? ;)

Avogadro

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 pm

Yeah, I'm a total science geek I guess! I should really have a mole if I'm going to name him Avogadro though!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:03 pm

Yeah, he did have a bit of diarrhea and no appetite yesterday,
Keep a very close eye on him, and be sure to weigh him daily. Intolerance doesn't just vanish if the a/b is continued, so it's more likely this was from the infection in this case.

26 posts