Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:00 pm

It's one tube for pigs less than 750g but since that could be anything from a fairly resonable size down to babies, that's why my vet doesn't really go with these Spot-On treatments. The instructions are usually a bit vague so I'd also wait till she's a little older/bigger.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:02 pm

I will wait.

Im just keeping an eye on her at the minute to see how her new fur develops.

I wish I could trust my vet, if I did I would just take her for them to have a look at. I wouldnt put it past them to give her something thats harmful to her.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:23 pm

Even if they are not that knowledgeable, see if there is a vet you can work with. Don't try and tell them how to do their job (that never works!) but suggest things and ask if 'whatever' would be a good idea and ask what they think. Once they realise you are taking pet ownership and gaining knowledge seriously some do sharpen up a bit and are willing to work with you.

Sometimes you have to be a little more subtle and instead of saying 'I read on the internet...' which will give you a very dismissive reply, say 'There's a website called GuineaLynx which seems to be more knoweldgeable than the rest... blah, blah' and print out related pages too and ask their opinion. Often curiosity will get them to have a look as they will dislike the fact you may have picked up more than them. If you vet is still very dismissive and 'I know guinea pigs, you don't' try another!

ellissian

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:44 pm

There are only two vets in this town, mine being the better one. I think they know I definately take my guinea pigs seriously, I dont think many people take their guinea pigs to them. Thats evident when I take them down, they all coo over them especially the babies. A few of the older vets have the attitude like 'Im the vet I know best, not you'. The younger ones seem to be a bit more approachable.

I will have to try really hard not to tell them what to do, I will be like ' what are you doing, thats not safe for them etc etc'. Then I would probably call them usless and storm out lol !!!

If any of my pigs get ill I would consult this site first before going to the vets. Unless it was a real emergency.

sallyf

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:23 am

I have to say im suprised that any one asks for advice on these pages, its the most condescending and mean site ive ever come across and ive been a guinea pig owner for many years[ over 25 ] I think ellissan has been a trooper to put up with it at all, ive recently registered here but apart from taking the knowledge i need i shant post or ask for advice from these people again.let me tell you you arent the fountain of all knowledge and unless you have a veterinary degree i think you would be advised to reign it in a bit!

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:30 am

Ellissian has not *only* been a trooper, but come to realize that the information here was very helpful ultimately and realizes why people got snarky.

Some day you might need to ask advice, and you might be glad that folks will not hold your proclaimation against you.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 pm

To each their own lisam. ; D

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:26 pm

I'd like my own lisaM.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:30 pm

sally I think you're missing something here. The majority of Dr.'s of Veterinary medicine were not given training or experience in treating GPs. They may be great vets for other animals and if educated will be great for GP's and may be awesome surgeons but because cavies are different until they update lots of the small and exotic books, etc. Vets will continue to struggle with treatment. I printed reams of material for our wonderful vet and he's doing well. The experts here know their limitations and much is gained for all in the sharing of experience and knowledge.

Many of us have had our "lashes with a wet noodle" but it is worth it because of the support and understanding most of us find here.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Amen to that, both to the knowledge of this board, and to the abrasiveness. The attitude on this board, I've learned over the years, can come across more harsh than it actually is, once you get used to it. But it can be a bit overwhelming at first, if you're not prepared for it.

As for the knowledge: My vet now asks me my opinions, and is amazed at how much I know about guinea pig care and illnesses. At first, she was skeptical, but now I know she gives my opinions a lot of weight, and any other patients that come into her care that say they're a member of the GL board. It helps me in that any time I have to make a vet visit, I have a good idea of the type of tests she'll be doing, and what I'll be in for.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:03 pm

Woa, I don't know how any of you made it thru Sally's post. That is the worst excuse for proper grammar I've seen in a long time...
...i shant post or ask for advice from these people again.
sallyf, if you decide to further participate by posting in this forum, please take the time, to make your posts readable. You agreed to use proper capitilization and punctuation when you signed up.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30411

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:05 pm

ellissian - So glad the baby's hair is growing in. If it were me, I'd continue to keep a close eye on her weight, and treat everyone for mites (just as a precaution) as soon as she's big enough.

*I got my youngest guinea from Texas Rustlers GPR. She never uses Ivermectin, only ever Revolution.