Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

Topaz

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:24 pm

Could this be a case of barbering? Who's she in the cage with? Have you ever seen any of the others picking on her?

Just a thought....

ellissian

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:36 pm

She is living with Kimmi her foster mam and Hazel Kimmi's daughter.

As far as I can tell no body is doing it to her and I watch her like a hawk after what happened to all her siblings.

The worst thing Hazel does to her is accidently stand or sit on her. She is 6 days younger than Popcorn but a lot bigger and heavier. Kimmi treats her no different than Hazel so apart from being stress related I really dont have a clue.

In fact I would say Popcorn is the boss in the cage.

klynne

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:20 pm

I've seen some baby pigs shed out their original coat and grow in a new, different textured one.

I think it's at least possible this is just due to the improvement in getting the *appropriate* nutrition now, that her little GI system can digest properly.

I hope she keeps up doing well.

Are you absolutely sure on your sexing? She is not a little he, for sure?

ellissian

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:23 pm

No she is definately a she and so is the other baby, I keep feeling for a shaft and there isnt one.

Not only has the texture of her new coat changed but the colour has too. She was originally quite red, now its more of cream/pale red.

klynne

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:39 pm

One of the pups from a pregnant rescue I took in did that. She started out looking deep, deep red and white, with coarse short hair.

She ended up golden agouti and white, with longer silky-type hair.

ellissian

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:45 pm

Its very srange isnt it?

The only thing is Im positive she isnt going to lose the fur on her head. She is going to look really multi-coloured, with a red/black head and a cream/black body.

Bless her, I would still love her if she was totally bald all her life!

ellissian

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:28 am

Just an update on baby Popcorn.

She now weighs 254g and her fur and whiskers are growing back everyday.

How long will it take for her coat to grow back fully?