Pig In Distress -- Mites -- HELP, Please...

lyria

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:43 pm

Hello all. As you can notice I am new to this board, however I am a pig owner and need some assistance, desparately.

My 1 year old, Midnight recently made a Vet trip and was diagnosed with Mites... she is nearly bald now from itching and was medicated by means of an injection of Ivermectin. My vet would like to see her in 2 weeks and insists that I will see improvement. This was on Thursday (4/17/03).

I am so concerned now since I am not seeing an improvement in that she has itched the same spot over and over, she has removed all the hair in this area and has actually broken the skin and is bleeding what I consider to be a decent amount. If necessary, I can take a photo and post it on the web somewhere if you all may need a visual.

Point blank, she is in pain and obvious discomfort and it is breaking my heart to see her this way.

My question... Is there any home medication that I could provide to make her a little more comfortable until the injeciton does it's job? For example, when kids have chicken pox, sometimes oatmeal alleviates the itch. Is there anything that I can do to alleviate some of the discomfort?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

jessicariekena
Pigs n' Pine

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:56 pm

Your vet needs to follow up with another injection on Ivermec in 7-10 days. Make sure she/he does that.

jessicariekena
Pigs n' Pine

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:58 pm

Does Midnight look like this? I don't know what else you can do besides waiting for the Ivermec to kick in. This link may help... https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:59 pm

Two weeks is too far a time span for the Ivermectin to work. Pigs need to be dosed two to three times spaced 7-10 days apart. Any longer than that allows the eggs to hatch and the medicine becomes ineffective. If she was dosed this past Thursday she'll need another injection by Sunday at the latest.

I'm not sure what you could use to relieve her of the itch. Her wound sounds painful. Someone else may know.

lyria

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:59 pm

I will certainly do this... which is about 8 days away... what could I do for her in the meantime? Anything? I can't handle her little cries... :(

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:02 pm

Do a search on mites/Ivermectin and see if something comes up. I know some good shampoos but bathing her right now would be too painful.

lyria

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:04 pm

The link that was posted looks 'tame' compared to my girl... I would say that all the hair on her hind legs is gone and now the hair on her back and near her neck is going as well.

Funny thing is that she lives with 2 others (Sophie and Peanut) and they are not haveing problems at all (althought they were also treated by the Vet as a percaution. They have all been together since purchased... we can't explain it.

If a picture of my girl is needed to assist, just ask. I can have one posted in a 'New York Minute'... that means really fast.

Thanks for the replies thus far...

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:04 pm

NSAID pain relief like Rimadyl or Meloxicam would be good. Steroids would also help but compromise the the immune system.

It takes about a week before they START to feel relief.

2 weeks between treatments is actually okay for most pigs but the time span should be no longer than that. Severe cases could take 4 or 5 treatments at 7 day intervals. 7 to 10 days is the average time span.

lyria

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:12 pm

Holly T... you mentioned shampoos... I may want to take the risk if it means the greater good in the end... what do you recommend?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:18 pm

No, really you don't. Pigs with open wounds due to mites should not be bathed. It would hurt her. When her wounds heal there are some good shampoos listed in the grooming section for dry/problem skin.

The pain medication pinta mentioned is a better idea. Your vet can prescribe it for you. Tell him how much pain she is in with the crying and scratching and hopefully the vet will comply.

I know you want to help her but bathing really isn't a good idea right now.

Also, it isn't uncommon for one pig to have symptoms while the others don't. It doesn't mean they aren't there. All pigs living together need to be treated so it's good you're having the others done as a precaution.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:38 pm

You might call the vet about the injuries. And do insist they be treated with ivermectin (the second dose) in 7 days instead of 14. At least the guinea pig that is in such pain. Emphasize how severe a reaction your pet is having.

Clean the raw areas with an antibiotic wash of some sort and air dry (or use a blow drier). Try to put on a small amount of preparation H -- it is soothing and may help take away some of the pain.

Read about mites and ivermectin on the GL reference.

lyria

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:41 pm

Thanks for all the help. I am going to insist on seeing the vet, however, I am going to try this recommended route as well... hopefully it is as good as it sounds... I will be sure to post the results for others like me...
http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/pigdisease/