9yo sow with trouble walking

gpigdad

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi all -- I am a new member and need advice. I apologize in advance if the question is too vague.

I have a 9.5+ year old sow (American) who over the past couple of weeks has had serious problems walking. The problem appears to be in the rear left foot but the right one is not better resulting in her having to really struggle to move around and kind of dragging herself around. It started at first at her favoring one leg over the other but now it's gotten to the point where she seldom moves unless she has to. She has bouts of this over the past 6 months but they used to go away after a couple of days. This time it's not appearing to be going away.

She is still eating and drinking (although with much less gusto than before) and enjoys sitting on the couch with me watching tv and getting petted. Her poop is soft but she is able to manage that and seems to be urinating ok.

I am doing my best to keep her comfortable as best I can but I would like some advice on what I should do next. I am really hesitating taking her to a vet because of her advanced age and I don't think I want to put her through anesthesia and prodding but I am open to all advice.

I love her dearly -- she's been the only constant in my life the past nine+ years -- and just want her to be comfortable. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:45 pm

It could be arthritis due to age. We can't really say. It's the normal course to get an x-ray. A good vet can do it without anesthesia.

I'm assuming she is getting enough vitamin C. So she is just a short hair? Is she a Satin?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:48 pm

Well, a vet can actually do a lot for her well-being without using anesthesia.

X-rays are not terribly difficult. Bloodwork isn't either. She may have arthritis which would benefit from an anti-inflammatory such as meloxicam. If she has a fracture or bone tumor, anti-inflammatories are also in her future.

What kind of diet does she have? Improving upon that may also help (I'm assuming she's eating a timothy-based pellet, free fed grass hay, and fed appropriate leafy veggies daily).

gpigdad

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:11 pm

Sounds like I shouldn't worry too much about taking her to a vet. I'll call tomorrow morning to schedule.

She's on a pretty standard diet. Standard pellet fare, timothy hay, fresh vegetables daily and added vitamins in her water so I think vitamin C should be fine as well.

Thanks for the quick advice!

P.S. She is of the short hair variety. :)

Picture taken of her today lounging.. (normally use CareFresh but ran out earlier in the week and now I am trapped indoors by the snow.)

Thanks again,

Bill

cavykatie

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:29 pm

Wow, she's really nine and a half? Impressive. I hope she feels better soon.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:31 pm

If she's 9 1/2 then congratulations on giving her such a wonderful life!

I hope you find it's something as simple as arthritis. I have several arthritic pigs here who do very well on a low daily dose of Metacam.

Let us know what you find out during the vet visit.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:40 pm

We generally advise people not to put vitamins in the water and if they give supplements to only give vitamin C. And to provide a high quality pellet.

No idea if diet is a contributing factor. You might want to look over www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

But you sure are doing a lot right if she's 9 1/2!

gpigdad

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:41 pm

I'll have had her for 9 years and 4 months in about week and she was a couple of months old when I got her, so yeah, she's really that old. :) I've been very fortunate.

I'll send a follow-up after the vet visit.

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone!

Bill

rshevin

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:48 pm

Wow, that's one old pig. I hope mine can live as long.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:52 pm

All pellets are NOT standard. Please make sure it is timothy-hay based and read the GL Nutrition/Diet pages.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:03 pm

Wow, that's one long life for a pig!

Is your vet experienced with guinea pigs?

pinta

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:12 pm

I would suspect arthritis as well. My arthritis pigs are on Rimadyl and doing well.