9yo sow with trouble walking

klynne

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:28 pm

I think you are wise to not attempt any drastic diet changes at this point, especially with her feeling unwell currently.

If her current regimen has got her to age nine and half, well, at this point at least, I would not mess with success.

There are certainly differences in pellet quality, but I suspect her issues are most likely caused by something more serious, and age-related.

Bloodwork really does need to be done--Mum has her vet do a toenail overclip method to obtain the sample, much safer and less stressful for the pig than taking it from the jugular vein.

I have to wonder about her kidney function at this point--bloodwork will help you see where she stands with that, liver function, etc.

I also agree a full body Xray will help you rule out or confirm things like heart disease or arthritis.

Thanks for trying to keep the old lady comfy and with quality of life ;-)

Gessika

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:00 am

http://www.imed.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/K4907/rfr/SMA

I give daily liquid vitamin C to my pigs and fosters with a 1cc syringe. Most of them LOVE it and will push one another out of the way to get to it. For an older pig, I believe .50cc would be recommended.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:14 am

Definitely update us on what the vet says. I hope it's nothing too serious.

Welcome to GL, by the way!

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:52 am

Hi, Gpigdad, wow. That is amazing that you have such an elderly lady pig. Congratulations!

I see you live in Reston, Va. I am in northern Va as well and know of a number of good exotic vets. Here is a list of 3, in order of preference to abilities. The least favorite among most area rescuers is the one closest to you. Of course.

1. Valerie Campbell - Blue Ridge Veterinary in Purcellville.
2. Scott Stahl and David Crum - SEAVS in Vienna.
3. Eastern Exotics in Fairfax, Va.

I agree with everyone that taking her for an exam would be good for her.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:15 pm

Ditto Josephine. There is a lot they can do without sedation or extreme stress.

If it is not arthritis -- we had a senior senior (8+, best guess) who developed limited mobility in his back legs. At first, he didn't move much at all; then he began to hop and did quite well at it.

His spirits were always good. We worked hard to keep him clean and debated a Roxy Roller or similar, but by then he had adapted to it and could pretty much get where he wanted to go. He did fall over occasionally. While this was very difficult for us to see, either my husband or me righted him, and he was fine, like it never happened. He benefited from an NSAID, administered daily.

If her spirits, demeanor and behavior are good, this is manageable.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:36 pm

You should go over an read my latest update on the "Injectable Baytril dosage needed" thread. These are some of the same symptoms my pig is showing-- he's at the vet today for x-rays, etc. My vet suggested a few possibilities for what could be wrong, but x-rays are really required to diagnose any of them. Granted, your piggy is much older than mine, so it could be something completely different, but the symptoms sound strikingly similar. I'll be posting updates on my thread when I hear back from the vet about the x-rays, what he saw, and treatment options.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:55 pm

To add to Judi's post, Dr. Crum is great. He is very knowledgeable, and cares about animals. He even called me about my sick pig today. I hope your girl will feel better soon!

gpigdad2

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:40 pm

(Created second account because I was having a real hard time resetting my password.)

As per JudiL's suggestion I scheduled an appointment this morning with Blue Ridge Veterinary in Purcellville for 5:00pm. A little out of the way but my baby is worth it. Dr Campbell wasn't available so they assigned Dr Peterson. He seemed very competent and was a small animal expert.

He did the usual squeeze/check of the spines and legs and other areas and then proceeded to get an x-ray. Unfortunately it wasn't very good news. Apparently my girl has a tumor that has metastasized around her lower spine putting pressure on the spine which is what is causing the apparent lack of good movement in the back legs. :-( Removing something like that would obviously very invasive and he didn't think that would be the right thing at her age.

He injected her with some kind of steroid which was supposed to help with the swelling and inflammation around the spine and also gave me something similar in drop form that I am to give her 2 drops daily. The bottle reads "Dex Sod Phos per inj."

So not good news but I am hopeful. She is in great spirits and I think the steroid/anti-inflammatory is helping.

Here is a picture I took about 30 minutes ago when I brought her back from the vet. She doesn't look steady but at least she is using her rear legs! Sorry about the fuzzy quality.

I just checked right now as well and she is still there on all 4 legs munching away. :-) I figure I will do whatever it takes to make her comfortable for as much time I have left with her.

Thank you all for your advice and your well-wishes!

Bill

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:48 pm

The Dex will help her. (Glucocorticoids, at the bottom of the page here): https://www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html

She's beautiful, and a precious spirit. The very best to her and to you.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:49 pm

I'm glad you were able to get to a competent vet. How lucky for the two of you to have each other for so long! Each day is a gift, as they say. I have one about to turn 7 so I am thankful for each day she's still with me. I've been feeling that way since she turned 6 last year. I can only hope she makes it to 9 like your baby!

klynne

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:58 pm

She is beautiful. Sorry for the news about the tumor, but I am glad you found a good vet who can help her to feel more comfortable.

I hope you guys have some treasured and good days together still ahead.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:05 pm

I'm sorry you had bad news today, but it's always good to have answers.

She's indeed a beautiful girl - you must have taken very good care of her in the past 9 years.