9yo sow with trouble walking

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:18 pm

Ditto what the others have said. You and she are both obviously blessed. Would you be willing to share the secret of your success? You must be doing something right and special to have had her so long.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm glad she's responding well to the meds! I hope she enjoys her rediscovered mobility for a good long while.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:29 pm

I'm so glad you went to see Dr. Peterson and he was able to help her. He is a very kind and caring vet. He must have been impressed to see a 9 1/2 year old guinea pig.

I am so sorry about the tumor. Its hard to see your little ones struggling, but she sure is lucky to have a great dad like you, Bill.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:31 pm

She's a gorgeous and precious little girl. I'm glad the vet was able to help you find answers and some relief for her. May all your days together be blessed.

gpigdad2

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:42 pm

I wish I could say it was anything specific I did. I figure it was just good genes on her part. :-)

I got Metaxas from a pet store back in October-ish 1997. (I know I shouldn't support pet stores like that but I was young then and didn't know better.) The reason I picked her was because she was in the same cage with guinea pigs that were A LOT bigger. I was just watching them and every time she would try to eat from the food bowl the bigger ones would scare her away by chattering their teeth. I felt bad for her so I had to "rescue" her. :-)

She was by herself for the first 3 years of her life with me. Then she got an adult playmate (Anarchy) who was a rescue. They were together for about 3.5-4 years until Anarchy passed away. Metaxas has been alone every since.

For the past 7 years she's been living in a pretty decent sized cage. It's hard to gauge from the two pictures I've posted but it's close to 18sq ft so she's always had a place to run around and exercise when I am not playing with her.

I am also a homebody and up until recently (1.5-2 years) she was potty trained. So when I would come home from work I would leave her running around for 2-3 hours and she would just follow me around. She would do her business only when I put her back in her cage. It was great! :-)

With regards to diet, nothing out of the ordinary. Mostly pet-store bought food, timothy hay, and lots of fresh vegetables. My mother to this day says Metaxas eats better than I do.

The past 7 years I have moved from one place to another 6 times and Metaxas has always taken it in stride and been there. She was with me when I first left my parent's house, followed me to Virginia from NY, she was there at my first apartment, first house, second, and so on. The stress of all that has almost killed ME but she has been a trooper.

I think she sticks around because she knows I need her for the moral support! :-)

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:07 pm

What a wonderful story. Folks like you restore a little of my faith in the human race.

I think what has contributed most to her longevity is your love, care, and respect for her.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:53 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that she has a tumor, but I'm glad that she's already showing response to the treatment. She's such a lucky pig to have such a loving dad, and I know that you both will treasure every moment you have left together. What a lucky, lucky piggy.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:24 pm

I'm sorry for the bad news. You are a very loving piggy parent, and have taken great care of her.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:33 pm

Folks like you restore a little of my faith in the human race.

I second that!

I loved reading about the special relationship that you and your sweet piggie have had over the years. I can tell she is like family to you and it will be hard to say good-bye. Just cherish her all the more until it is time and be proud of yourself for giving her such a wonderful, long life.

slfalzone

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:40 pm

I'm so sorry that the news wasn't great, but I'm so happy to know that there's something that can help her feel better.

It sounds like you're very lucky to have each other :)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:42 pm

Metaxas is a gorgeous girl. I hope the both of you have many more great and loving times together. :)

Fossil Barb

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:15 pm

Such a neat story. Thanks for sharing pics of your precious girl. You have been blessed to have had her for so long and you must be pretty special as a cavy slave to deal with that much senioritis.

I hope she is able to stay with you awhile longer and when she goes to the Rainbow Bridge maybe you could get another pair in her memory. There's nothing like a baby to comfort you.