Skinny Pig Data and T-4 count

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:37 pm

I am particularly interested in T-4 counts of both Skinnies and regular pigs. There are no norms established so the more T-4 counts recorded, the closer we'll get to finding out what is normal.
I found an article which might be helpful in establishing norms for regular pigs:

http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/conten ... 533?ck=nck

I'm still waiting for the results of Candy's T4 (not a skinny).

gomez

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:52 am

skinny/naked pigs

Pinky
Sex: Male
Color: Pink-Red Eyes
Death: Stroke?
My wife bought him as she felt sorry for him as he was so ugly. We became best friends and were never apart when I was home. Very smart. First death :(

Eater
Death: Debatable Vet/Siezure
Went in for routine checkup, vet said heart stopped 3 times under anesthesia for x-ray. Died 2 weeks later from siezure. Started argument about vet ability.

The Gal
Sex: Female
Death: Debatable Vet/mis-diagnosesed Heart Problem
Symptoms point to heart problem that seem typical. Vet said was calcium buildup. Post operation checkup testing started bleed anally which the vet said was of no concern. Next day found dead with pool of blood from butt. Took vet ability argument to whole new level.

Talker
Death: N/A atm
Medical History: visits for broken nail, fight, cold (URI), stepped on (not hurt thankfully)

Currently very ill, has the same symptoms the Gal had. Vet argument climaxed and new vet chosen. Has enlarged heart and fluid in the lungs. Currently doesn't seem to be improving. :(

Little Dude
Color: Tan/Black/Brown - Black Eyes
Death: N/A
Healthy happy pig

the Fuzz
Sex: Female
Healthy Happy Pig

Notes: Our vet debate/argument is because the vet is question is supposed to one of the best in the area. However we have had 3 die under what I call suspicious circumstances (1 not listed as hairy for annual checkup). My wife and I still argue/debate over this. I believe the current issue with Talker has hopefully changed my wife's opinion.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:06 pm

I just got Candy's T4 back (normal hairy pig): it's 1.6 ug/dl

This result really surprises me, because not only is it not high, but according to the figures in the other link I put in my last post it's actually low.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Meeko - adult male, orange and white Peruvian
T4 - 12 nmol/L
blood tested because of chronic inappetance/weight loss
no current diagnosis

pig lover

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Piggy

Color: Pink and Brown
Death: Heart Attack
Tried to give lasix to him, but he stressed him self out and had another heart attack.

Blackie

Color: Black with a slight brown tint
Death: Heart Attack
Was mis-diagnosed with pneumonia but ended up having a heart conditon.

Wilbur

Color: Pink, White and Brown
Very healthy happy little guy.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:32 pm

pig lover, this thread is for T4 counts.

pig lover

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:12 pm

Mum,

If this thread is just for T4 counts then why doesn't Gomez have T4 counts from his/her piggies in their post above? Also, I thought the title of this thread was Skinny Pig data and T4 counts. Correct me if I read the title wrong.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Ah sorry, pig lover - I didn't realize you had skinny pigs!

My bad!

Tracy

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:32 pm

Just had my piggy tested for possible hyperthyroid, since she's been losing weight despite eating normally (plus supplementation), normal X-rays, teeth fine. Sounds like her T4 is okay, so we're still trying to figure out her weight loss.

I'm mostly posting because my vet gave me the "norms" for thyroid in guinea pigs, from The Clinical Chemistry of Laboratory Animals textbook. I don't understand the units, but hopefully the numbers will help other owners and vets in diagnosing thyroid problems.

T4: male 2.9 +/- 0.6 ug/dL, female 3.2 +/- 0.7 ug/dL

T3: male 39 +/- 17 ng/dL, female 44 +/- 10 ng/dL

Free T4: male 1.26 +/- 0.41 ng/dL, female 1.33 +/- 0.25

Free T3: male 257 +/- 35 pg/dL, female 260 +/- 59 pg/dL

If this info is better on some other thread, feel free to move it or copy it.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:36 am

Rufus
Color: PEW
Death: Unknown cause
Medical History: Ringworm, sebaceous cyst, plus other undiagnosed symptoms (didn't have cavy savvy vet back in 2000).

Rupert
Color: Red and White with pink eyes.
Death: Bladder Stone (died three hours before scheduled surgery).
Medical History: sebaceous cyst.

Roscoe
Color: Black
Death: Probable liver failure although no conclusive tests were done.
Medical History: Regular checkups never any problems.

Gordy
Color: PEW
Death: Heart failure
Medical History: Chipped incisors from accident, sebaceous cyst.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Just bumped this to note that Winky was just diagnosed with enlarged heart (almost twice normal size) at 4.5 yrs old. I think Pinta has his mom and/or sister, are both on heart meds and still living?

smithduke

Post   » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Swirl, app. age 5.

Was thin from at the time I adopted her, although I just thought she was a small piggie. I took her to the vet because she was sneezing a bit and the vet felt a mass in her abdomen and said it was probably a ovarian cyst. We put her on Baytril for the sneezing and she got better. A month or so later, Swirl was gasping for air and the vet took x-rays. She found that Swirls abdominal organs were pushed towards her rectum but couldn't see clearly what was going on. Also she found a cloudy area around her heart. Sadly, Swirl died a few weeks later. We think it was either cancer or heart disease.

I got Swirl from the preschool I worked at and felt sorry for her. Her life consisted of 2 and 3 year olds poking at her and no one paying attention to her on the weekends. The maintenance people would clean the classroom floors with a chemical that made me cough, so I can't imagine being in a cage on the floor breathing that in. I found out from the teachers that they never knew to give the guinea pig fruits and veggies, timothy hay, toys or a companion. They gave her only store bought pellets. Poor Swirl didn't have the proper care and attention from the beginning and I feel that contributed to her illness. At least she lived her final 9 months with us.