Candy - weightloss

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:48 pm

You can see a picture of her bladder stones here:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:55 pm

How discouraging. I would like to know what causes a bunch of them to form.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:23 pm

Candy's bloodwork came back today. Her T4 is normal (or a little low if anything) at 1.6 ug/dl. This really surprises me, but I guess I should be relieved she isn't hyperthyroid on top of everything else.

Her other bloodwork was reasonable - a few things were off, but I don't think they were off enough to be troubling:

Monocytes 28
Eosinophils 10
Creatinine 0.3
Globulin 2.9
Phosphorus 2.9

My vet is out till Monday, so these came through my non cavy-savvy vet. I've compared them with the norms page and just listed the ones that seem outside all the ranges.

Can anybody comment?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:35 pm

I think the stones are making her sick.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:38 pm

Those are what? I need units since the Monos and eosinophils can be percentages or other stuff. You also need to look at the total leuks to put all that into perspective.

The monos are high? That just signifies longer-term infection, I think. Not unlikely given the bladder stones and the chronic bladder trauma by said stones.

Nothing else looks too concerning. The phos may be a bit off with electrolyte issues. Not too high, so I'm not concerned about that (high phos leads to arrythmias and potentially cardiac arrest).

I agree with HollyT. Taking care of those stones via cystotomy may solve most, if not all, of her problems.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:59 pm

Sorry Josephine:

Here's everything I have that's under the CBC and plasma protein:

WBC count 14.6 (thous)
HCT 28.3 % High
Neutrophil Seg 60% High
Lymphocytes 28% Low
Monocytes 2% Low
Eosinophil 10% High
Absolute neutrophil seg 8760 /ul
Absolute lymphocyte 4088 /ul
Absolute monocyte 292 /ul
Thrombocytes - adequate

She was on bactrim for 3+ weeks before this test was done (and had finished it for at least a week before the bloodwork was taken). She didn't tolerate it terribly well, so I discontinued the a/b.

Her phosphorus was low at 2.9 mg/dl, as was her creatinine at 0.3 mg/dl, and her ALT at 24U/L.

The AST was high at 54 U/L and the globulin was also high at 2.9 g/dL.

I've emailed the xrays to Dr. R. and am hoping he'll tell me the likelihood of him being able to remove those stones.

My question now is does this show she still has infection? As she's off the a/bs, this is obviously a concern. The bactrim just made her less interested in food and gave her soft poo, so if she has to be back on it we could get by.

The only meds she's currently on are metacam 0.15ccs once a day and extra C 50mg/day.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:30 pm

Josephine, can you comment? Does it look as if she may still have infection?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:07 pm

I am not a vet tech but looking at those numbers from a human side I would say it appears she may still have an infection. The WBC although not high is on the upper end of normal. The neutrophils being high could indicate a bacterial infection.

She may also be a bit dehydrated.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks, mkkayla.

I suppose that without surgery she's just never going to get better.

Not much point in putting it off, I suppose.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:42 pm

You just can't ever get a simple one, can you? (!!!)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:16 pm

I just had a phone consult with Dr. Ridgeway, after I emailed him the xrays of Candy's heart and body.

Her heart is indeed enlarged (as I was convinced - my local vet was convinced it was normal!).

But, in agreement with my local vet her 'bladder' is in a very weird place (not on the xray I posted, but on the other view). He says there's no way he would cut into that bladder. The only way to get a better idea would be by ultrasound.

We agreed to wait: to start Candy on heart meds, try and get her weight up, and to re-xray or ultrasound in a couple of months.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I hope she gains some weight soon. I'm sorry to hear about her bladder and her heart.