Euthanasia Methods

Becky

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:08 pm

All of my pigs have passed here at home. Elvis' experience was very much like your Huey's, Serina, and it was extremely difficult to experience. Like Cindy said, in the back of my mind, I sort of knew he probably was out of it, but it didn't make it any easier. The most difficult part was I called so many places and not one would put him down. It was a weekend and the middle of the night. Awful.

My cats all have had some sort of injection prior to the pink stuff. None seemed to notice at all. My beloved Godfrey was at UC Davis. I had an appointment with the oncologist to discuss chemo, but his cancer had spread. They were wonderful. Let me take him outside (his favorite) where he purred in the grass for about an hour. When I was ready, the doctor came outside and gave him the sedative. Very peaceful for us both.

For our last old girl, we had a vet come to the house. It wasn't too expensive and I'd highly recommend it. One of the nicest parts was the other cats were in the room and with us all. We were together as a family.

I wouldn't do iso first. I've seen them struggle with it and it's quite upsetting (to me, in particular). And I think it's extremely important to discuss this topic.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:24 pm

Salana- Its wonderful that you have a vet (or tech) that is capable of placing a cath, esp in a pig. But that is a rare ability to have. The last vet hospital I worked at put cathethers in every single animal for euthanasia and I have seen animals get poked so so so many times just to get that thing in. I remember one cat in particular whom was struggling with the techs and he got nearly every single one of this veins blown out before someone finally got it in.

TCR

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:07 pm

As for the lethal injection in humans. I saw a report on PBS's Now ( If I recall correctly it may have been another news source) is that the drug used in humans is out of favor in the vetrinary community and has been for years.

This may be a case of Veterinary medicine ahead of human medicine.

catzattack
Piggie Power

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:23 pm

What a heartwrenching topic, but ever so familiar to all pet owners. I have never had the guts to stay in the room with my cat and dog when they had to be put down. I am a coward. I have a much beloved cat and I wonder what I will do when his time comes? He is like a child to me. I feel with this guy, there is no way I can leave him alone to die. I just hope he hangs on. He has been ill for much of his life. He is a FLUTD cat and has had the PU surgery (which is the last resort last May). I have spent at least $5,000 on him. It seems like when it comes to my pets, I have a black cloud hanging over my head.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:29 pm

A lot of pet owners have a hard time staying for the euthanasia. What I always sugest to clients who are struggling to make that kind of decision is to stay for the sedation and leave once their pet is unconscious.

I think its extremely unfair for a pet to spend their last few moments with total strangers. "Drop off euths" always rubs me the wrong way... sorry to sound harsh... though I do understand. A few days ago, someone dropped off a 21 yr old cat to be put down. Yup, 21. Her father died the same day two years ago so we understood how she couldnt deal with another death but still, we felt bad for the cat.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:06 pm

I always stay right there with my animals. As much as it hurts to see them go, it would hurt me more to think of them with strangers.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:16 pm

CP, I'm glad you brought up this difficult subject. It's important and needs to be discussed. The best time to educate oneself about this procedure is long before you need it, not during an emotional crisis.

So, thanks for this. I think to have an IM sedative before the actual heart stick is a gentle and humane way to go.

catzattack
Piggie Power

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:36 pm

Yes, I know the right thing is to stay with them. But it takes courage. I hope I manage to find that courage, but I do hope I get to wait a bit longer....When I had mine pts, I spent time in the room with them and then my vet took them in the back. I guess it was leaving them, but I didn't look it as just dropping them off. I was in another room when it happened. This is why this thread was good for me to read. I am trying to see what does happen and how to deal with it, as I have decided not to leave my pets alone again. I like the idea of a vet coming to the house and the posting of the kitty in the grass really got to me...

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:24 pm

Believe it or not, what made me think about the way piggies are PTS was after watching a 4 months old sea lion fetus struggle to die. The mom had aborted but unlike most cases of abortions, this fetus was completely intact (placenta, amniotic sac/fluid, umbellical cord, etc) and alive. Knowing it'd die by suffocating to death, our vet tried to euthanize it. First by injecting thru the umbellical cord. Of course, there is an artery and a vein in the cord and after 5 minutes of still being alive, it was obvious she hit the artery going away from the fetus to the placenta. By then, there was no more blood pressure to try again so she went for a heart stick. She misses and the soln goes "SQ". Then she refuses to try again, commenting that a cardiac stick is very painful. The fetus flinched when she stuck her.

Poor thing took more than half and hour to die. Haunts me forever.

catz- The whole process (usually) isnt as bad as yu may think it is. A lot of times, it brings peace to the owners to see their beloved pets drift away so peacefully. I have assisted in many many euths and it is very rare to see anything go wrong, esp in cats and dogs. Almost always, they drift away within seconds (like 5 to 10).
Last edited by ChunkyPiggies on Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:26 pm

CP, ditto everyone else; thank you for opening this discussion. I for one did not know they hated the iso that badly and struggled to that extent. If we are ever faced with this we will certainly insist on an IM sedative first.

If you don't have access to someone who can place a cath, is there no other way to deliver the pink fluid than via a heart or liver stick? Even fully sedated, that is a horrible image in my mind.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:37 pm

A cathether placement isnt neccesary. You just need a vet who can hit a piggy vein.

The truth about placing cathether is that it is there for the sake of the VET. It makes the process easier for vets, esp those who cant hit a vein (and there are many, simply because the techs do all the vein poking). Its a dreaded thing for a vet to be in front of a hysterical owner and a weak, near death patient with no blood pressure and stand there poking around, praying for a vein. If a cathether is there already, all they have to do is pump the solution in. It is simple and headache free, for both the vet and the owner (who doesnt have to watch their animal get poked and poked).

For a weak, small animal, its pretty easy to fully sedate them from a simple IM injection and I personally dont think they feel very much. I've seen a hamster, a rat and a bunny go this way and none of them even flinched. If a vein isnt an option, I think a heart stick while sedated is the best way to go.

Most vets dont do a liver stick because of the chance of missing it. You can draw blood back to verify that you hit a heart. With the liver, that doesnt work. A lot of times, heart and liver sticks become semi-"SQ". The solution ends up in the peural or peritoneal cavity, which is why sometimes it takes longers for an animal to die. I dont think its painful... just not the usual 5 to 10 seconds.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:44 pm

With pigs and my vet, the liver is the best and fastest way to go. It takes milliseconds but I probably wouldn't just trust any vet. I agree about the iso as that is how Kringle went and he seemed confused and scared.

Regarding the cathether, my dog squeeled and cried and struggled for a good 5-10 seconds while the sedative was going in. The pink juice came after and he was still crying I think. It was just awful and I couldn't wait for it to be over. It was my understanding in talking with someone else that the cathether was probably not in correctly and the medicine leaked and stung him.