Chronic cystitis/blood in urine

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:32 pm

Sounds like what my gp Angel went through. Her story is well documented here. $2500 over the course of 2yrs was spent for numerous antibiotics, urine cultures, exploratory surgery, spay surgery, metacam, amitryptilline, polycitra, corn silk extract. None of it gave her pain relief.

$6.95 for a bottle of the chinese herb, Shilintong, and she got pain relief.

I say try the Shilintong. There's only so much you can take knowing your pet is sufferng every time she pees. It's heartbreaking.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:59 pm

"The second vet I saw seemed uncomfortable with the idea of putting a guinea pig on a NSAID."

mumblemumblemumblemumble

I get the feeling the vet(s) you are seeing are not totally ignorant, but not as knowledgeable about guinea pigs as you need for Patches. I'd suggest 1) try the Shilintong and 2) consider emailing GL member rshevin for an alternative veterinary suggestion. I *think* she's not too far from you.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 am

The Shilintong is a good suggestion. Once I started Rodney on his daily dosage there were no more squeeks on peeing and pooping. He loved it mixed in with his CC and Vit C.

Hope Patches gets to feeling better.

Desert

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:37 pm

I thought I would give an update on Patches. At her follow-up vet appointment, the doctor didn't find any traces of blood in her urine, only some crystals. She suggested taking Patches off the TMS for a while to see how she does.

Unfortunately, the squealing has become worse again, along with the hunching up and then grunting when she passes fecal pellets.

Thanks for the tip about the shilintong. I will order some right away and see if that will give her relief.

The vet I've been seeing is Dr. Partlow in Virginia Beach. She is an associate of Dr. Fisher. Dr. Fisher saw Patches at the beginning of January and took x-rays. Do you think I should request to see him again? (He doesn't seem to be in on Saturdays)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Dr. Fisher is supposed to be a pretty good vet. How long since the last xrays? Stones can actually form in a couple weeks. Up to you if you'd like new ones. I hope the shilintong helps.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:36 pm

Also, how long was she on the TMS? Really tough UTI's can take three weeks or more of trimeth to fully resolve.

Desert

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:49 pm

I ordered some of the Shilintong and started giving it to Patches this weekend. I only gave her 0.5 cc, half the recommended dose, to see how she reacted to it. Unfortunately, it really upset her stomach. She had diarrhea and sat hunched up in the corner of her cage. She wouldn't eat some of her favorite vegetables.

I did not give any to her this morning and she was feeling much better by this evening. In fact, she was very energetic when I put her in her playpen. Her fecal pellets are back to normal.

Should I assume that the Shilintong caused the stomach upset and not give her anymore? I'm disappointed because I was hoping to find something to help her with her UTI problems.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:57 pm

What did you mix the shilintong with?

And how much of a pill did you give her?

Desert

Post   » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:54 pm

I put a whole pill in a small amount of water and let it dissolve and then syringed the 0.5 cc into her mouth. I kept the rest of the water with the remainder of the dissolved pill to syringe to her the next day. The mixture smelled very pungent! Do you think the dose was too strong?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:47 am

I don't think you gave her to much. I also think you should try it again because you can't be sure it was the Shilintong when she really didn't get that much. I was giving Angel .5cc twice/day.

Desert

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:13 pm

Okay - I'll try it again. Do you mix your dose with anything else to make it more palatable? Patches really hated the taste of it. Do you give it to Angel every day or just when she has a flare-up?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:14 pm

I disolve mine in plain cranberry juice. Candy seems to like it (or tolerate it anyway).