9yo sow with trouble walking

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:36 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss. Grieve here all you need to. We understand the pain and loss you feel. Not all, but probably most of us GLers have lost our own pigs and we've each felt the loss in our own ways.

klynne

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:14 pm

"My only regret was that I didn't take off from work today. Driving home from work I had this tingly sensation that I knew what I was going to find. I have to confess that I feel guilty for not being there when she passed."

Truly, it sounds as if your sweet girl and you had a very spiritual connection. I believe many animals who are so loved, and love us so, give us a final gift of not having to watch as they go.

Perhaps it will help you to see this as her last gift to you--and as *her choice.* Obviously, she has known for a bit that it was her time to go. The fact that she did so while you were gone, is, I believe, at least partially under their control--and she wanted it that way, for your sake.

Healing to you.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:39 pm

I, too, am just catching up on this thread. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm grateful the two of you had each other for so long. You were both so fortunate!

Regardless of whether or not you ever decide to welcome new pets to your home, I hope you will continue to be a part of the GL community. The bond you hand with your little girl is what this forum celebrates.

gpgrandma
Supporter in '07

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

No words can ever express the sorrow for the pain you feel. Just know that you are among friends. I know your special girl is smiling at you from above. Sending sympathy, prayers and wishes for a future full of the memories you shared.

Zoe

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:38 pm

I am just finding this thread. I became very attached to a very long lived piggy too. Like Metaxas, she chose me when I spotted her in a heard of lice invested piggies at a petstore. (I was new to this back then.) Her name was Zoe. She became so elderly. In her last weeks, she had an enlarged heart, and arthritis that kept her from walking. She truly enjoyed being held, so when she was suffering, I knew she wanted me to comfort her. And that further intensified the bond.

Even though she was a little black and gold satin American girl, I saw her in Metaxas. Oh my, was I attached. My ex-boyfriend, who met Zoe in her last year, will still say, "I still miss Zoe."

It's been years since Zoe passed, but she had such an effect on me and those who knew her. And Zoe, as you with Metaxas, was with me through many personal trials.

Thank you so much for posting. I am sorry for your loss. I hope you will stick around here. I think that you crying about losing her is a positive thing. You were touched by love. It hurts an awful lot to lose the object of that affection. But a blessing to have the opportunity to feel it all.

amy m guinea

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:54 pm

I was so amazed to read this thread - what a long wonderful life she had! We here understand how bad you feel now. Seeing the empty cage, not having to buy greens, it's all so sad. Give yourself time and grieve and remember how happy you made each other.

Klynne is right. I've always heard of humans passing away when the person sitting with them just leaves the room for a moment. Perhaps that was Metaxas' way, so please don't feel guilty.

Maybe fostering in her memory would be a good bridge back in to guinea pig ownership when you are ready? That's what I did, (I own 3 now, but that's a whole other story!).

Give yourself plenty of time to grieve, it take a long time to heal.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:54 pm

Godspeed and safe passage, Metaxas.

You are loved, will always be loved, and will never be forgotten.

My comfort, sympathy, understanding and empathy to you, Bill. Bless you for loving her, for caring for her so well, for seeing her spirit and celebrating her life. For being who you are, so that she could be who she was.

Is.

Don't feel badly about not taking off work. She was at home, surrounded by familiar sights, sounds, smells, and routine. I don't think she was frightened. And I don't think she suffered.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Bill, I am so sorry she passed away. Its a miracle that you have had this precious girl for so long. We all envy you that. I know you must have been so heartbroken to come home and find she had gone. Thank you for caring for her so much.

Becky

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:01 am

I hope you see how much your long relationship with your beloved girl has touched a chord with so many people. Most of us only hope for this long of a relationship with a special pig.

There's a hole as big as a truck in your heart now, I know, but please take time to celebrate all the joy and companionship she brought you.

pinta

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:26 am

I too hope you will honour her by inviting a homeless pig into your life.

Surely you must have done something right to have her so long and I will admit I am jealous of the time you had.

rpaws

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:51 am

No matter how long a time a guinea pig stays with us, it is never enough. Metaxas had a wonderful life with you to have made it to such a great piggie age. All guinea pigs should be so blessed, but then you were blessed having such a long, long time with her.

It seems like Metaxas wanted you to know it was time for her to go so you could have a short time to prepare, and then peacefully pass on her own. Her passing must have been like a ocean wave retreating from the shore, going to where all the guinea pig must go.

I imagine Metaxas being at the rainbow bridge now. After a good session of popcorning, she’ll gather other little piggies around her and let them know what is like to be so surrounded by love for nine years. As she tells her story, they’ll experience what that love was like.

I am hopeful you will honor her memory by giving a homeless guinea pig a great earthly home full of wonderful love and care. Then you can tell that guinea pig about Metaxas.

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:57 pm

We are so sorry to hear of your loss.

I have to echo what others have said about some animal's choosing their time. My first childhood pet did that and for many years I always lamented "not being there..." As I had more pets over the years and my child has as well, I have seen animals choose their own place and time to pass. One hid himself in bedding and just drifted off...another called us to be held and slipped away while being cuddled and petted. And others also seemed to go "their own way." All were sad, all were unique.

Nine and a half years is an enormous testimony to your care for Metaxes.

Take care.