Injectable Baytril dosage needed asap

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:52 pm

I agree with Pinta on the cart. We considered one for ours, then dropped the idea when he developed the powerhop.

With a herniated disc, it seems to me you'd just have to be careful about how you positioned him on it. You might have to make several adjustments before it was comfortable.

Re: pellet bowl, water, foods -- we had three or four water bottles rigged up at one point for ours; foods all over the place. He didn't have to go far (or at all) to get water or food. *That* was a lot of work. We were able to reduce some of that after he became more mobile.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Reference! I just started thinking about Pinta's roller tonight and for the life of me couldn't figure out where it was on the site! I actually found this thread and the new replies as one of the top responses to my search.

Tonight, Benji is actually moving his back feet some almost as if to walk, but he doesn't seem to have the strength or coordination to do so. Still, this is definitely a new thing. It was seeing him do that that made me remember the Roxy Roller.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:38 pm

"While in the cart, her legs began to start the walking motion."

Using the cart actually helped Pinta's pig resume walking. Definitely something to consider.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:08 pm

Yeah, that's what made me remember the cart when I saw Benji trying to move his back feet, but it was like his body weight kept him from getting them up under him to actually move himself. I thought "if only something was holding his weight up for him, I bet he'd be able to push himself with his feet" and *BOOM!*, remembered pinta's roller.

I just woke up Zac to tell him that our project this week is going to be to get the parts to try to make one up. The hardest thing to find will be the Neoprene, but we may be able to find some at one of the local dive shops (there are a few).

I'm just convinced that if something were holding him up so that his feet were more up under him than splayed out (think sexy leg on both sides all the time) and so that it required less effort to push himself, he would be able to use them to move.

pinta

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:40 am

Roxy was a sow so you''ll need to consider a boar's direction of peeing when making the cart(very easy as long as there is sufficient alcohol)

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:20 pm

I thinking that I'm going to try to make it support his back as much as possible... unfortunately, his injury is quite far up (think spine around the rib cage area). I'd really like to have that supported, so I think I'm going to try to make the support section (flip flop) longer. I just hope it doesn't inhibit his movement.

I'm about to head out soon to hunt for supplies.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:02 pm

I am officially frustrated.

I made a nice little harness, that was easy. The base and wheels however are not working at all. I couldn't find the kind of foam like flip flops (and it's winter!), so I tried sytrofoam. All I've succeeded in doing so far is making a HUGE mess of sytrofoam flakes, having my glue EAT THROUGH the styrofoam, and getting glue stuck all over my fingers that won't wash off. I've temporarily given up. I don't have another material on hand to try right now so I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe Zac will have some ideas, because I'm all out.

Plus, my wheels are probably now ruined because they're covered in glue.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:14 pm

If you aren't able to find flip-flops, try looking in the children's toy section of a Target or a Walmart for those large foam pieces that fit together like a puzzle. They are used as floor mats for kids to play on, but they are lightweight and sturdy.

ETA: Something like this.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:21 pm

You're a genius! I actually have some of those here in the house! We use them under the piggy cages to protect the wood floor.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:24 pm

That, or maybe try a sporting goods store. People buy and wear flipflops all year long in the showers at the gym. Army/Navy surplus places will sometimes have them, too.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:40 pm

I still haven't progressed any further in the construction of the cart, but I have a couple of new updates.

The last day or two, I've noticed Benji *trying* to move more and more. So tonight when I had him out for feeding, I positioned his back feet under him and put my hands alongside them to give him support (they normally slip out to the sides). With me doing this, he actually started pushing himself forward. He did this several times. It was the closest thing to walking I've seen him do since this all began. He actually took one or two good "slides" forward in each repetition.

I'm ecstatic about that, but I'm concerned about this... while we were doing this, I noticed that one of his front feet kept getting trapped under him, the top of his foot against the floor and the bottom of his foot against his body. (Like if a pig could lay its arms down to the side.) I can take a picture if this is too hard to envision. Seeing this made me really concerned. I suppose he could just be too weak to lift it and move it forward considering that most of his body weight is now being supported on his front legs, but I really worry that if something is wrong with his front legs, he won't be able to use a cart at all.

But at least he's trying to push with his back legs now... that's a start. He *only* did it when I positioned him properly and gave him something to push off against (so he legs didn't just slide out from under him), but still... it's more than he had been doing.

Good call on where to look for flip flops, Talishan. Zac and I were looking at our puzzle square things tonight, but they really just seem like they might be too flimsy. I also really think I'll have to get different wheels. The ones I originally got had casters, but I figured I could set them in place with glue so they didn't spin. I'm thinking now that I should just go to a different store and look for different wheels altogether.

I work 12-hour shifts for the next two days, so it'll be a little while before we get to finish Benji's cart. But in the meantime, I'm going to continue the "therapy" we were trying out tonight, and I'll probably go ahead and talk to my vet about seeing the acupuncture therapist. I'm really worried about that front foot, and I feel like we need to approach this as aggressively as possible if we want him to make it.

I just really hope he's not suffering in the meantime. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but I feel just awful when I'm trying to manipulate him to encourage movement. I worry that it's hurting him and he just can't tell me.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:43 am

I used Miracle Glue. http://www.miracleglue.com/

Worked really well.

If the puzzle square things are too flimsy, try gluing 2,3 or 4 together for a sturdier base.

You should be able to find flipflops on the internet. Or maybe friends have some they can donate to the cause.