Non-Pellet Diet

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:29 am

I'd recently read a post in which Pinta mentioned a non-pellet diet.

Does anyone here feed hay and veggies exclusively - and no pellets?

Are there any links/threads I could visit about it? I'd tried searching - but didn't really come up with much.

I think I might like to try it for my two healthy boys.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:30 am

I've never done it, but I know a few experienced people have done it. And a few who just didn't want to bother with pellets.

Why are you considering it, out of interest?

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:34 am

Why are you considering it, out of interest?
Pinta made a convincing (albeit short) argument - that if a pig fills up on pellets they may not eat their fill of hay, which could, lead to tooth problems.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:41 am

Well, that's logical but my opinion would be to first try a limited pellet diet. I call this "measured ration" which is different from a restricted diet. I try to have all my animals fed in such a way that they have just a few kibbles left at the end of the day which I throw away and then replace with a given volume. Then I know if someone isn't eating.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:48 am

rshevin - That's pretty much what we do now, and the boys don't seem to eat many pellets. Probably cause they get so many veggies!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:48 am

Some pigs with recurring UTIs/ bladder stone or other similar issues do well on a pellet free diet. Here are some threads:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 923#610923

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 378#390378

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 572#329572

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 am

I think Salana feeds her Suzi a pelletless diet. You could send her an email through the GL mailer.

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:22 am

I think Josephine might have also done it. Because I have a hyperthyroid skinny and a senior with weight loss issues I need to keep giving pellets tho I only give the pellets at night when I can't separate the weight loss pigs out to feed them extra.

akintolife

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:58 am

It's something I've been thinking about doing due to the near impossible task of finding decent pellets here and the much more easily available veggies/grass/hay.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:10 am

My pigs would go on strike with no pellets!

I for one really doubt they are not eatting enough hay because of having pellets. My pigs eat all of the time, non-stop except when they are sleeping. I do ration their pellets, but they get just as excited about the pellets as they do veggies.

If you find that your piggies are not eatting a lot of hay try a different hayrack, or try putting their hay in a pan and just allowing them to forge and play in it.

I can understand not feeding pellets if you have a "problem" pig, but really I just don't get the whole concept of not feeding pellets so they eat more hay. Just my opinion.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:40 am

My guys get a rationed amount of pellets. In the a.m. and then again in the p.m., the "single" pigs each get 1 tablespoon. The pairs get 2 tablespoons. They get their pellets after having very rougly a cup of fresh greens (endive, green and red leaf lettuces, Boston lettuce, and usually a little green pepper or tomato), and they eat the pellets in one sitting. Then they move on to the hay, which they eat throughout the day.

lisam

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:17 am

Some guinea pigs (rabbits too) will not eat hay if there are pellets available. I have several in the rescue, and my own bunny Pippin, who won't touch a piece of hay unless the food dish is empty of pellets.

There are a couple of vets around my area who advocate going pelletless. And although it is not the case with us here (GLers being much more conscientious about feeding) some people come to rely too much on pellets--as long as the pig has pellets they feel they can skimp of hay and/or vegetables and greens.