You can quote me

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:46 pm

Some of the info here might also prove helpful:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36462

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:07 am

Hamish update:

I am now back in the UK with better communication channels. Hamish is doing well, considering. His owner did not take him to the vets Rachelm and I recommended but stuck with the PDSA (big veterinary charity over here). I would have felt better if she had taken him to the exotic vet but couldn't force her and they seem to be taking good care of him.

He was temporarily incontinent so had to be bathed regularly but that has cleared up now. He has also been having regular hydrotherapy, which he doesn't seem to mind and has gained back some of the movement in his back legs. Progress has been in fits and starts but he is gradually improving.

Thanks for all the info people have provided.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Good news. Progress in fits and starts is what we saw with ours, so please tell his owner that's normal.

poppypiggy

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:04 am

It's nice to hear he is recovering! Hydrotherapy sounds cool! Is there a chance to get some pictures? I would have loved to see that - and learn more about it, too!

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 4:05 pm

I know it's been a while but I thought I would post some happy news, as we've had a few piggie deaths at GL this week and it's sad.

Hamish continued to have hydrotherapy every day. The vet instructed my mum's colleague to fill the container with water a little higher every day or so so he would get used to working against more water, until it was up to his chin. Hamish, apparently, didn't mind the water and was using his back legs in the water to help him but they weren't supporting him on dry land.

Then she decided to take Hamish to her homeopath. I don't know whether this had any bearing on his recovery but a week or so after, he regained the full use of his back legs and is now running around as active as he was before the accident.

I am so pleased and so relieved. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 4:15 pm

Great news! I hope he continues to improve.

maremma

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 9:21 pm

Oh what a maginficent outcome!

Amadeus-sFam

Post   » Mon May 28, 2007 10:09 am

Wow! That's great!

klynne

Post   » Mon May 28, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks for the good news. I, for one, have been feeling a bit beatdown, with deaths of pigs whose owners are willing to do anything for them, and with illnesses and such of pigs whose owners don't give a crap and won't listen.

I needed that happy ending.