Candy had eyelid surgery.

fourpigs

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:02 pm

She grew this odd thing on her eyelid, so we took her to the vet.

Dr. Robinson said that it was chlamydophila psittaci a folicle forming conjuctivitis. Contagious to humans. After removing the growth, she looked around and saw hundreds more forming. Poor baby! It would also spread to the other side, not to mention spread to Mottley and US!

So they put her under and snipped it off. Found hundreds more under the eyelids. Gave her a cream to put under her lids.

This is Candy drunk as a skunk after getting home.

And her eye

And her much more alert and happy chowing down.

It has been a couple of months and it hasn't returned and Mottley is safe as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:17 pm

Wow, that is most interesting! I have never heard of this. A search on the disease and "eye" turned up an article about this in birds:
http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/chlamydia.html

Looks like doxycycline is effective. What kind of eye cream were you given?

How was the diagnosis made? Did they culture the growth?

Let me know if I can copy your eye pic to the site.

fourpigs

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Yes, go ahead and use the pictures.

I'm not 100% clear on what exactly happened. I had to work and my husband took her for me. Dr. Robinson is an hour away. I believe she just recognized the formations under the lid from her books. The eye cream took care of it, but we had an antibioitc prescription on hold at the pharmacy just in case.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:33 pm

I have not heard of that, either. Looks similar to what Jules had removed years ago, but the doctor never said it was contagious. He said it was a benign growth. It was removed because it was growing and bothering his eye. I put antibiotic ointment on the eye after surgery, but it never came back.

fourpigs

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:49 pm

When I lifted her lids up to put the cream under, I did see what she was talking about. There were hundreds of them! Top and bottom.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Very interesting. Glad to hear they have not returned.