Why do I feel so bad?

Melody R

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:50 pm

I am not asking for an argument here, just trying to understand why I feel so terrible doing "the right thing."

I have learned the error of my ways on here and will not buy animals from pet stores or breeders again - period. I have always purchased 95% of my pet supplies (I used KM before I even knew about GL) online. Once in a blue moon, I have had to enter a pet shop because I ran out of some item at the last minute and there was no time to order online and get it in time.

Last weekend, I cleaned the fish tank filters and threw out the dirty disposable filter cartridges - then realized the refill box was empty and I didn't have any more. So I trudge off to the FISH store (the safest place) to get a couple to hold me over.

Wouldn't you know the FISH store (who also does cat rescue/odd combination?), had a momma piggie with her 4 babies (6 wks old - male AND female) - and momma was pregnant again. Daddy apparently skipped town - lol. These guys were up for sale/adoption whatever you want to call it - put down your $$ and go home with them, no interview required. I turned away and walked out.

So my question is - WHY do I feel so awful about leaving them there, esp the Momma? I haven't slept right since. I don't need more GPs, and I don't even want females ( have all males) . I just keep thinking at least I could give her a good home, would pay for the vet if she needed it, would handfeed the babies if it came to that, etc. Would separate the boys and the girls - and well, heck, could keep all of them, or at worse rehome the babies in well qualified families.

I'm not looking for an excuse to acquire these. I really don't NEED or necessarily WANT this many. And I don't need more to do. I just know I could do right by them and I'm not, and I feel guilty.

I know you're going to say I can't save them all. I know that -- I can't save all children, but I adopted my daughter from a bad family situation. I sponsor several kids (and their families) in Burkina Faso (Africa). I can't save EVERYONE, but I can save one at a time.

So, how do I overcome these feelings of guilt?

veckard

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:59 pm

I don't know how to stop the guilt. I've never been able to, that's why I rarely go into pet stores unless I absolutely have to.

ellissian

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:02 pm

I dont know either, but you cant save every stray you come across. If you did your other animals would probably suffer as you wouldnt have enough time to care for them all correctly. You would end up with a house teaming with guinea pigs there would be no room for you! :)

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Were they asking for an adoption fee that was going to a rescue or shelter, or is the money going to the store? Do they normally sell animals other than fish? I'm confused.

Best way to take care of the guilt is not to go into the petstore.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:08 pm

Is the manager or owner open to suggestions? If you can't take them in or get them from there for free, you can at least try to improve their situation - leave care sheets and offer to sex / separate them.

Melody R

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:35 pm

El - "You would end up with a house teaming with guinea pigs there would be no room for you! :)"

Hmmm - Maybe that wouldn't be so bad. Does KM sell hay by the ton? I like hay.

--- I mentioned that I don't usually go into pet stores unless it's an absolute necessity. In this case I HAD to have replacement filter cartridges IMMEDIATELY, which is why I went to a fish store, not Petsmart or some other generic place. I THOUGHT I was safe - LOL!

This place significantly supports the local cat rescue -- an entire section of the store is set up for their use with cats available for adoption, so at least PART of the owner's heart is in the right place. These pigs were for sale at $17 each, so I don't think he's in it for the big bucks, but I don't know if they were technically rescue or not. There was one bunny also. But essentially it's a fish store.

I did sex the piggies for him, but they remained together even tho I told him the girls could get pregnant. I will say at least they had a nice 3 x 5 ft pen which was immaculate, and clean good pellets and water bottle.

I esp feel sooooo bad for Momma piggy. The babies will probably eventually find a home, but I think someone will be in for a "surprise" with Momma. She wasn't full term, but I don't know how far along - maybe a few more weeks to go.

Melody R

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:40 pm

Kill me, kill me, double post!!! SORRY!

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:42 pm

Yeah, unless the pigs are free or an adoption fee is going straight to a shelter they're not 'rescue'.

Poor mama pig. She'll probably end up pregnant for a third straight time if the new litter remains with her. Not to mention the sisters. Ugh.

Melody R

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:48 pm

Third pregnancy most likely!!! That's why I wasn't sure if "rescuing her" from her situation would qualify as a rescue. Maybe the one daughter also -- the rest were boys.

Should I ask him to donate my $17 to the cat rescue - LOL?

Topaz

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:35 pm

Ooh....I can tell you REALLY want this mama.

I'm not ever stepping foot in a petstore again. I can't. Or if I have to for some reason like you did, I'm staring straight ahead and heading straight for what I need. No averting the eyes.

What's sad is that this particular pig does indeed deserve better. And you would definitely be saving her from her situation.

But you know the deal with looking at the big picture and how it'll never stop if people continue to support the practice....

I can tell you're going out of your mind with guilt. I'd be feeling the exact same way.

I don't have any answers for you...sorry. But can totally empathize.

Melody R

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:50 pm

I think I'll pop out my contacts (I really WON'T be able to see a thing!!) and get a white cane if I ever ever have to go into a petstore again. I'll go straight to the counter and ask someone to go get the darn filter cartridges for me. I really thought I was safe in the fish store. Pretty soon, I'll be looking for "floater" fish to save!

akintolife

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:41 pm

It is horrible and I don't hink you ever get over the guilt. In situations like this one all you can do is try to educate. Myabe give the sotre owner some print outs and information on guinea pig over population and the contacts to a local rescue if there is one -- especially if the store helps out a cat rescue, they might be willing to learn more.

That said, as far as stores go it sounds like they are doing some things better than most, by having a clean enclosure, good pellets and fresh water. Maybe they would be more receptive if you pointed that out too, how you've seen/heard some horrific stories about guinea pigs in pet shops and it's nice to see somebody trying to make an effort... However, it would be even better if you were able to tell people that they kept the sexes separate. (yes, most people here would adopt, but that doesn't mean we can't let people think we would buy if conditions were improved).

Or I could just be getting soft after seeing some of the photos taken by the inspectors this week.