Why do I feel so bad?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:10 pm

If I had to guess, it sounds like someone dumped this family at this store, knowing the owner supports dog/cat rescue, cares at least a little, and will do his (or her) reasonable best to care for the animals reasonably well until they find a home.

You could, if you have the time, space, energy and funds, try to get him to give them to you for free, or as you mention, specify that your money should go to the dog or cat rescue. This is not exactly the same situation ... at least, I don't think it is ... as he purchased them from a breeder with the intent to sell them from the get-go. I could be wrong, and in that case I'd encourage you to walk away, as difficult as that is, and never walk into that place again.

The chains do not (are not allowed, by corporate or by law, perhaps?) resell those dumped on their property. Mom and pops, and places like this one, are not as frequently bound by the same rules.

If you can *foster* them ... truly foster them, help them, care for them well through Mama's delivery and place them well ... you'd likely be saving their lives. Understand I'm suggesting something I cannot do myself. Anyone that comes into our house stays. Period. But. If you can make up your mind to truly foster them, then that might be an option for you.

The other thing to consider (and as active as you are, and have been for years, in animal rescue you have probably already done this) is the additional time, space, and care they will require. We have nine guinea pigs and while we love each and every one, and are in no hurry for anyone to pass, we are at our absolute limit. Some days it feels over the limit. And we have no birds, dogs, cats, horses, hamsters, fish tanks or anything else.

maremma

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:25 pm

Please do go back to this store and take as much printed info with you as you can. You cannot save them all but you can help these little ones.
If you feel you can financially and emotionally care for them all till you can find them good homes I can understand you doing it. I would do it. I would at least get the females all out so the cycle cannot continue.
It seems to me this store is not in the "business" of selling guinea pigs. I am even betting someone came in there and asked them to take them for them as they no longer wanted them. That has happend to someone I know that has a pet FOOD store. She doesn't sell any live animals either. She even showed up one day to find several guinea pigs just sitting on the front porch to her store! Fotunately she has guinea pigs of her own and knew how to care for them and loves them. She nursed them all back to health and found good homes for them.

In the least it would help you feel better if you at least tried to educate them and at least try to get them to give them to you to nurse and find homes for if they cannot seperate them and properly care for them all.

maremma

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Another thought here. Perhaps they are asking for an adoption fee for them same reason so many true rescuers do. If they "give" them away they may well wind up snake food:(

Melody R

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:42 pm

I may go back tomorrow and have another talk with the owner to see if I can him to relinquish them, or for a donation to the cat rescue. He did seem truly shocked that "mom" was pregnant again, and did not realize how young they can be and get pregnant. I know he has no idea of what to do with her. Poor thing, she looks so young herself.

Let me ask you this -- if I were to foster the whole bunch, could the existing daughter stay in with her mom through the delivery? All the boys can stay together in another cage for now. Yes, I could probably handle the second batch (at least till I found excellent homes only) as well. I'll just build a C&C city.

People always ask me how I work full time and do as much with animals as I do. Heck, I raised 8 kids (two were "mine") all grown and gone now -- a house full of animals is a piece of cake by comparison , at least when I'm tired, I can put THEM into cages - LOL.

My Buddy

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:21 pm

I would go for it if you can, try and save these little ones if you can. You would feel great for what you have done but, keep in mind what all you would be taking on. If it is something you are going to do be careful how you approach the store manager . I feel sometimes when you talk bad on how the store has treated animals bad it might get their backs up. Just be careful on how you handle it and what you say. You might have to put it on pretty think just to get those guys out of there. Please let us know how it goes!

Melody R

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:39 pm

I have two questions:

Can the existing daughter stay with Mom now and through and after delivery?

If these babies are 6 wks old, when do you guess Mom will deliver? Assuming she was immediately bred back by Dad?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:40 pm

" ... could the existing daughter stay in with her mom through the delivery?"

Yes. As long as they get along now, they should be okay through her delivery. She may even help out with the pups -- no guarantee, though. Watch after delivery. She'll probably be okay with them, but I've read a few (very few, but they're there) accounts on here where that situation hasn't worked out.

6 X 7 = 42
73 - 42 = 31

She could be as much as a month away, possibly less. 17-31 days.

emjay

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:42 pm

Thats exactly how i feel when i see animals suffering in petstores!!

That's why i saved my Neby from the petstore as she was in with boys.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm

Emjay, please read this post (AGAIN):
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 711#826711
If you take the time to use proper captalization and punctuation, it makes posts so much more readable.
Thanks!

This is the THIRD TIME I am giving you this friendly warning.
The next time your account will be suspended.

averyl

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:59 am

You can also report any abuses or mishandling to your state. Try this as a start:

http://www.api4animals.org/b4a1_petshoplaws_state.php

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:01 am

I don't know that much about pregnant pigs, but I am almost positive I have read somewehre that you need to be careful housing two pregnant pigs together, so you may want to make sure the baby girl is not pregnant.

From what I understand if the "other" pig eats the momma pig's afterbirth the hormones could make her start to have contractions and go into labor prematurely.

I hope the store owner allows you to take in these pigs and find them loving homes. Truly it would be in the best interest for him along with the pigs. The last thing he needs is a bunch of pigs inbreeding with one another because he can not properly sex them out.

Mocu

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:10 pm

There is another side to this and its not what you want to hear. If you stick with two, you can spoil them with everything they could possibly need, especially your attention and affection. The bigger your group gets, the less time and money you have to spread around. Vets are not free.
In a perfect world we could all be Angelina Jolies or Mia Farrows with lots of money and helpers, but this isn't a perfect world.
It sounds like the guilt you are experiencing comes from identity confusion. Do you want to be a rescue shelter/foster parent or do you want to be a forever homemaker...