lump on back??

coco and sugar

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:54 pm

4 month abyssinian female has a lump or bump under skin on lower back. skin not broken-no pain-no hair loss. need some guidence! please and thank you

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:21 pm

It's best to see a vet on this one. It's hard to say without seeing it - without a culture - whether or not it's a tumor, abscess, or cyst.

Do you weigh regularly? Has she lost any weight? Does she have a cagemate (could this be an abscessed bite wound)?

coco and sugar

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:28 pm

no cage mate (shes in other cage) so no bite. are there any pictures of them(lumps and bumps) anywhere? I viewed the ones here and didn't see anything close. no haven't weighed but will begin. thanks now I'll look for a pigvet near me

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:34 pm

I'm not sure if there are any pictures of what you've described (surely there are).

Just keep a close eye on her - and get her to a vet as soon as you can.

Good luck - stick around someone with more experience in this area may comment soon.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:52 pm

There's lots of pictures all over this site of all kinds of lumps and bumps, but there's really no way to tell exactly what it may be, even from a photo.

Guinea pigs seem a whole lot more predisposed to lumps and bumps and cysts and abscesses and benign tumors than carnivores, but many times (actually, most of the time) they are readily treatable and ultimately not serious, like they often are for humans.

Please consider the vet referenced in this link:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 077#983077

This will be a little bit of a drive for you, but it looks like a straight shot (from a Google map, anyway).

Aridane

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:28 pm

A vet visit is definitely reccomended. I have personal experience with a "lumpy" pig. Years back I had a female named PJ who had a benign lump where the back of her head and the top of her neck met, right between the ears. We took her in and the vet did a relatively simple test: He injected a syringe into the lump and withdrew a sample. The test came back negative for any nasties, so we left it alone, esp. since it was so close to her brain. We had the lump tested every 2 years just to be sure, and she lived to the ripe old age of 6.

coco and sugar

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:27 pm

wow!! you are all awesome, thanks Medina is just up the interstate from me. coco and sugar's momma says thanks a million

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:18 pm

This section is not completed but may help you:

www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html

Please use proper punctuation and capitalization, coco and sugar. Thanks!

Zoe

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:50 pm

My Sweet Pea has a horrible looking and feeling lump on her back. Two different vets told me it was some kind of a cyst. She's had it for a while. Sometimes I can squeeze nasty stuff out of it, but it won't be going away. Surgery wasn't recommended. It doesn't seem to bother her.

That doesn't mean that's what your guy has, just that you never know until you have a professional look at it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:40 pm

Check out the lumps page. Perhaps a follicular cyst? I would try to clean it out well and keep track of it. You just don't want it getting infected.

Zoe

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:14 pm

I forgot what kind of cyst it was. It's not infected. I keep it clean. It's impossible to really get it completely squeezed out. I keep a close eye on it. I'll read up on it more though.

Lumps. An email friend of mine had a lump on her boar diagnosed as cancer. My sister had some lumps checked on her boar recently and it was benign fatty tumors.

Nothing like a good vet. I hope coco and sugar has one.

coco and sugar

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:05 pm

Thanks to all of you, The results are in; The last time I gave her a bath I didn't get all the shampoo off my crazy haired girl. This caused her skin to become irrated, scaley, and I felt the lump. I feel bad I didn't get her rinsed enough. But I'm grateful it was not serious. I put warm compresses on it a few times a day, for a week followed by a dab of vitamin E. She's all better!! (And I learned a valuable lesson)