Meg is getting spayed

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:34 pm

Vibes on the way. I hope she continues to recover without a hitch!

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:30 pm

Good vibes from me too!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:09 pm

Lots of good vibes from here, too.

Her recovery cage setup sounds perfect.

My only concern is that Metacam won't be enough for her. Would they be willing to give you something stronger (Torb or buprenex) if you need it?

To me it's like a human being sent home with 800 mg Motrin -- that's fine for simple outpatient surgery, but it's not going to cut it for a full ovariohysterectomy.

Elly

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:04 pm

The vet didn't have Torb (I asked for it). I will see if he has buprenex. If in case he doesn't have that either is there anything else that would work?

Meg finally started eating a bit of hay by herself. I gave her the Metacam in some critical care earlier and will probably give her another (force) feeding since she isn't very interested in food yet.

Topaz

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:30 pm

Good thoughts and vibes coming to you and Meg from upstate NY as well.

Sounds like she's going to be just fine. :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:56 pm

Buprenex I *believe* is the stronger of the two. See if he has buprenex; here are the dosing guidelines ...

https://www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html

... and follow his instructions to the letter if he gives it to you. Our "surgical" vet (the vet we prefer do our surgeries if possible) likes to use it pre-op. IIRC she said it puts them under deeper and it lasts longer, but they come up easier (? something of this nature ?).

I'm a little scared of it and have never used it at home. You may also want to email Josephine and ask her about it. If properly used I would think it'd be better than "just" an NSAID if Meg starts to really hurt and needs it. That, or see if he will call some Torbugesic in for you to a local dog-cat vet. I think it's fairly commonly used in many species.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Buprenex is great but it sounds like the metacam is working fine. You just want her to be able to eat. Usually with my vet a torb injection is given at the hospital and I supply metacam when it wears off. Keeping up with the torb post surgery zonks them out too much to eat.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:59 pm

Great news! I hope the recovery goes well!!

Elly

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:17 am

I force fed her again (and forced her water as well) and pissed her off royally. So much so that when I put her back in her cage she gave me a "look" (you know the one), marched over to her water bottle to drink, then (I swear) stomped across to the hay and munched a few strands then went to work on her veggies.

She is now lying in the cage looking peaceful if upset (with me). She is no longer puffed up and at this moment my daughter is offering her more lettuce which Meg took from her and is eating.

She came home from surgery at about 1:30pm. There was some bloody discharge on the towel when I changed it. I changed her towel at 8:00pm and when I checked just not at 11:00 I am seeing no new discharge on the new towel.

I will check her incision first thing in the morning to look for any puffiness, heat, odor, pus, etc.

Thank you all for helping me get her through this. I know we aren't out of the woods yet but her appetite seems to be getting better by the minute. I measure her out 2 ounces of pellets and will be weighing them to see if she's eating and refreshing them at least once a day to encourage her to eat.

If her appetite stays good should I worry about getting her stronger pain relief? Right now she is pretty active and moving about the cage seeking out any missed bits of veggie and picking out choice strands of hay. It seems to me she must be feeling better.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:14 am

How was it to see your own pet have surgery? I have the option of seeing my cat get neutered. I love watching surgery, but don't know how it will be with my own.

I'm glad she seems to be recovering fine! I should have put that first!

Elly

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:21 am

I thought it was really cool and my Vet and his Tech let me know that is is a rare thing for him to allow someone into the surgery suite to attend surgeries. haven't been his client for long but he said he felt really comfortable with me and has invited me back any time.

He also told me not to tell anyone else he can spay GPs. He said h will be happy to do any of mine but if he can avoid ever doing another he will be happy. Like I said it is remarkably "fiddly" and complicated. I have no idea what nature was thinking when designing the interior works of the female guinea pig. The uterine horns and fallopian tubes had to be 3-4 inches long--just ridiculous.

If you can handle the blood (not much blood in a neuter) I say you do it. The good thing is, if you feel sick or faint, you can walk out. You are not necessary and they will have no problem with that.

Meg is doing great this morning. She scooted away from my hand when I reached in her cage this. I see no discharge on the towels, she has eaten most of her hay from yesterday and it seem like she nibbled a tad on her pellets as .1 ounce is missing. Not much but it's something.

There are not a lot of poops in her cage though. She may be eating mos of them though because I noticed her eating them off the cage bottom last night. I will be keeping a close eye on her output, both urinary and fecal, to make sure tat food is actually passing through her system.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:02 am

I felt funny. My vet let me watch from a window and I came in and took a couple pics of Snowflake when she got her spay but I just felt funny. I had no idea I would (it was not faintness but not realizing how uncomfortable it was seeing your pet being cut up).

A pic of the surgery on this page:

www.guinealynx.info/surgery.html

Glad things are going well though.