Boar stories 2

rshevin

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:10 pm

Piggy was adopted from a rescue when he was 2.5-3 years old, after already having had 2 homes. Smudgie was abandoned at a high kill shelter, underweight and with a skin infection, when he was about 4. Neither boy had lived with another pig since they were seperated from their litter mates as babies. Both boars have lived together in peaceful harmony since they were introduced last November.

Drying off after a buddy bath

Our first holiday season as a family

Sleeping in our "twin beds"

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:06 pm

I've had good luck introducing adult males, so don't let people only adopt babies. Max was 3 when he meet Steve, about 1.5 yrs old. Max had previously been a solo pig. Steve was 2.5/3 when he met Jules who was about a year old. Once Neal turned 1, he was able to join Steve and Jules. The Little Savages were over a year when they joined Neal.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:53 pm

I am not sure if this is what you wanted but here is my speech...???---lol

We adopted Dudley and Mr. Peabody a little over a year ago. I was a bit nervious about how they would get along because they would be housed right next to a bunch of sows and another neutered boar (only a grid dividing them), but they honestly love one another so much they could care less about their neighbors. The boys are so bonded that when one wakes up to eat, so does the other and when one gets tired, the other will take a nap also. If I take one out for laptime or even something quick like a nail trim, the other gets very upset and worried about their little buddy, so instead we just take them both out together. These two boys have made their way into my family's heart, and I am truly thankful that we have offered them their forever home.

The boys celebrate their 1st Christmas with us . . .

A little lovin....

Does life get any better than this???.....

angelscavies

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:01 pm

I have posted on the other site.

I had 7 boys living together peacefully with 15 girls next to them. They lived in a 3x5 cage as well.

Prince would run up and down the divider keeping the other 6 out since he was the oldest, the boss and the ladies man. lol It was fun watching him do that.

Prince is the grey one, All are brothers with the same dad but different mom. I never bred. My friend that I took them off of back bred. She no longer own pigs anymore thankfully.

All 7 of them are in the hay, this is when I put them above the girls in a longer cage.

maremma

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:56 pm

Wow it is hard to imagine that a shelter would be teaching something so obviously not true. That is so sad.

I am glad to see so many people have boys together. My paired boys absolutely love each other. Peanut and Max are so bonded when I first took them in I am sure the only reason either one survived was for the love of the other!

Peanut is a teddy but when he was rescued he was all but bald with nasty open wounds from clawing himself so bad. They we both very thin and undernourished with URI's. Max had severe ear infections and head tilt along with all his other suffering and kept falling over when he tried to get around. In this horrednous condition anyone would think they'd each be quite self occupied but amazingly they were not!

Peanut got better before Max did and bless his protective loving heart he would take food and hay to Max in bed and nudge at him until he would eat it. Peanut would guard the door to Max's bed and would rumblestrut at me when I had to get Max out to take care of him! It was not only adorable it was amazing. They are both very clearly boys too.

Aridane

Post   » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:45 pm

These are my two fellas, Dante and Randall. Here you can obviously see the signs of bloodshed. ;)

Dante is the Alpha pig but these two are so well-behaved it's unreal. They will honestly line up and take turns at the water bottle. (I tried adding a second bottle, but they would still only drink out of one at a time. ) If one is taken out of the cage for some reason and another is left in the cage, the one left in the cage will dash all over the place, looking for his buddy. Honestly, the only fear I have ever had with having these two boys together is that inevitably (gods forbid) one of these guys is going to pass on before the other one, and I will have one devastated pig on my hands. :(

chino

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:39 am

Aridane; Thats so cute!

amptondooz

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:45 am

This is the picture only about a 1/2 hour after we introduced Henry and Teaser. Teaser would clean Henrys ears and Henry would just let him.

MilwCavyMom

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:15 am

Gable and Bogart get along most of the time. They sometimes have a "toddler mentality" of I want what he's playing with or eat what he's eating but they seem to play together and will sleep near each other. They're great brothers.

Eating dinner
Hanging out.