Miss Cleo has lice and gas...

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:21 pm

Hi, I took Miss Cleo to the Vet tonight and she has lice. Poor thing! She also is bloated with gas. She did have gas on her xray that they took after she lost her pup around a month ago. It showed gas again tonight with another xray. She is almost full of gas the poor thing.

I have Revolution to give her and the other three. My Vet said to bleach the cages with a 10% solution and throw out anything that could not be cleaned. I will also have to comb out the nits on her and see if the other two have nits as well.

As for the gas she said to try just giving her Vit C supplements and hay and then start reintroducing pellets a week later and then veggies a week after that to see if that makes a difference. She is eating and drinking normally and her poop is normal. I give her KM's pellets, Timothy hay and fresh veggies daily. Usually I give red lettuce, green lettuce (not iceburg), red, green, orange peppers, parsley, she loves broccoli but I don't give her it very often. I usually give one type of veg in the morning and switch in the afternoon.

I have been giving her treats called Nibble Rings and I am wondering if this is the culprit. It says on the package that it is made from field fresh grains plus alfafa. None of my other three pigs are having problems.

Is there anything I can give her for the gas? I am just checking to see what I can do for her.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:50 pm

Does revolution work on mites? I know advantage does, and you can buy that everywhere without a prescription.

Dump the Nibble rings - guinea pigs don't tolerate grains well.

You can give half the infant dose of simethicone for gas.

(Broccoli also causes gas - you might want to review the diet section in the Care Guide at the top of this page)

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:09 pm

Does anyone know if you can get Advantage in Canada?

The Vet said to also dust the piggies with a product called Sevin. Is this safe?

Okay I went to the drugstore and got Ovol drops with Simethicone Emulsion. It contains 40 mg of Simethicone in a pleasing mint flavor. Alcohol and lactose free.

Non medicine ingredients are Aluminum Mg Silicate, Cellulose, Citric Acid, Flavour, Hydrogen Peroxide, Methylparaben, Polyoxyl 8 Sterate, Porpylparaben, Purified Water, Sucrose, Sodium Hydroxide and Hydrocloric Acid to adjust Ph.

Dosage is .25ml to 0.50ml for infants.

Is this okay to give to Miss Cleo?

thanks,

Sandie

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:31 pm

The Oval drops will likely be fine. The Sevin will not. Sevin is an insecticide.

You can get ivermectin and treat topically too.

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks Lynx, you rock!

I wasn't even considering the Sevin as I had not heard of it before and knew everyone here would steer me right.

I will try and see if I can get some ivermectin as well to treat them it's seems to be harder to find in Canada.

thank goodness for this website

Sandie

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:34 am

My two have had mites and gas at the same time. We hope Miss C. feels better.

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:59 pm

Well the Oval did the trick, Miss Cleo is moving around alot more and seems happier. I did go and get some Ivermectin from GE Pharmacy and the girl behind the counter offered me a generic brand Noromectin which was half of the price.

Has anyone used this before? It's a 50ml bottle with each mL containing 10 mg of invermectin. It's made by Walco.

I will have to get a needle syringe from work on Monday and drip it onto the underside of their ears. I just want to make sure that I am doing it right.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:17 pm

Actually, not the underside of their ears, but behind their ears, where they have a little bare spot.

Good luck!

lisam

Post   » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:48 pm

Hydrogen peroxide? It's not toxic to drink?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:19 pm

sandwomn, so long as it is only ivermectin and you measure carefully, it should work fine.

www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:44 am

ya caught me Brandilynn that's what I meant to say. Oops, I will double check that it is only invermectin and I will measure carefully as I don't want anything else to happen to my babies.

Miss Cleo is so much more active and wheeking away, she has not bloated up which is a good sign. Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Sandie, Sue, Sienna, Miss Cleo and Sassy aka Sassafrass

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:06 pm

Has anyone had luck with a special comb to get rid of nits? I am trying the human one on Miss Cleo with no luck. I am now on my way to Walmart to get the finest comb I can find.

thanks,

Sandie