Spay... and then some.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:12 am

I'd reread the teeth page and info on broken teeth. They should grow back pretty quickly. Perhaps you could lay things out so she could grab something with her lips and work it in?

Hope she starts eating soon.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:21 am

They really do grow quickly. Pigligs incisors which were horribly short grew back in about 2 to 3 weeks (they were even too short after Dr. A had planed his molars).

I put tiny chunks of veggie in critical care so he could grab bits of the CC with his lips and there would be veggie chunks inside.

Sorry for the mess, bigfatlove to Beat!

newwave_polly

Post   » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:46 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Lynx and Brandilynn.

I'm still struggling to get her to eat. She hates the syringe and will do all she can to grab it with her front foot and push it away from her mouth. I really hate having to fight with her to get her to eat.

We've tried getting some veggies into her, but she'll have none of that.

newwave_polly

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Update time and a question or two to follow.

Beatsie pulled through all this back in the fall. It was a struggle for both of us, but through the ordeal we managed to find an awesome vet clinic. It's a bit of a drive, but it's SO worth it. Both Beatsie and Moe have been to the clinic now, and both of the vets are excellent with the pigs (and me).

Beatrice learned to like Critical Care, which helped out a lot by reducing the fighting to nothing. That breakthrough was remarkable.

Anyway, Beatrice broke an incisor over Christmas and her other 3 front teeth got a little bit out of alignment because of it. She went to our new vet clinic and got fixed up again. This vet sent her home with Metacam and Bactrim and it was amazing to see how much the Metacam helped her with managing to eat.

So, the questions are here:

She had stinky breath before, which pointed to some sort of infection going on. She was given Bactrim for it and it seemed to clear up. I'm not positive, but I think it might be back because I'm noticing a bit of a bad breath thing going on again that smells the same, just not as strong, as it did before. The only AB I've got here is Chlor-Palm 250 mg oral suspension. (It was prescribed to her by a different vet initially in the fall when the tooth thing started.) I still have a half a bottle of it. Would it be a good idea to start her on a course of this now?

Since she broke her tooth off, it has grown back, but it's really discoloured. Orange. The vet said that it has to do with oxidization when the enamel allows oxygen into it (from trauma or otherwise) and should be okay as long as the gums around it look healthy. Is anyone experienced with this? It looks pretty strange.

Also, how long should I wait before bringing her back to the vet for another molar trim? She's just starting to have a bit harder time eating, but is still managing to get a decent amount of food into her. At what point do I take her in for more dental work?

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:06 am

The odor can be either infection or rotting food. If they can't eat as well, there may be a pocket somewhere. Have you had an xray done?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:59 pm

1. How long ago was the stinky breath before? If it was within the last year, the vet that saw her for that can legally prescribe more Bactrim for you. Is it the good clinic? If so, I'd call them and see if they will call it in to a human pharmacy near you.

2. Mum, and I want to say GP Lover and maybe ChelesGP, have had orange teeth (to deal with, not their own! :-) Hopefully someone who's had this happen will see this.

3. "At what point do I take her in for more dental work?"

When she starts losing weight, more than a few grams and/or more than you can keep on her with some supplementary Critical Care. That was the criteria we ultimately developed with our dental pig.

newwave_polly

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:33 pm

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm just getting back to this thread now.

Lynx, no, we haven't done an xray on her. What would we be looking for on the xray? The vet does regularly look in her mouth with a speculum and seems to get a pretty good look.

Talishan, here's the info:

1) Stinky breath began in late October and she got Chlor-Palm for it. Not sure if it completely cleared up, but she was on Baytril around Christmas/New Year for the same thing, as well as just having her molars trimmed.

2) Ok, glad to hear I'm not the only one!

3) That's good for me to know. I'll monitor her weight a little more closely then. I fed her some Critical Care tonight and she just gobbled it up. I'm not sure if it was because she was really hungry or if it's just because she likes it and it was like a treat. She loves food, and before this whole dental thing started she was quite a portly pig. I'll keep up with the CC though to make sure she's getting enough to eat. It seems like she's able to eat pellets easier than veggies right now and I'm not sure how she's doing with her hay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:36 pm

Dental xrays can be very valuable. If the mouth is the problem, you might find out more by xray.

newwave_polly

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:57 pm

Ok, sounds good. I'll ask about it next time we're at the vet then.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:36 pm

Yes, there's a thread somewhere on my Goldie who got a front incisor knocked out. When it grew back in it was orange. I paid no attention until I found her covered in diarreah one day - the tooth was infected.

I had to have it removed, and she's done well without it. Even with being removed, though, it still grows back and I have to have it filed down to the gumline every now and then.

Her other incisors grow at slants to compensate, but somehow she manages to usually keep them ground down fairly well.

I think a dental xray early on would have shown the infection and might have spared us the nasty spate of diarreah and illness that followed.

Here's Goldie's tooth before I realized it was infected:

And this is how it grows in now (it's very hard to totally remove the root) - when it gets like this I get it ground down (no anesthesia needed) or clipped:

newwave_polly

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:08 pm

I managed to get a pic of Beatsie's teeth this morning. It's the bottom one that's orange that is the one she broke off at Christmas. The top one looks orange but it's a bit of tomato stuck between her teeth I think.

Looking at the pic, I'm seeing that her teeth are worn off slanted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:36 pm

Would you like me to add your pic to the thread?

It looks like the base of the tooth is more white. Maybe it's beginning to grow out correctly?