Henry's spooked.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:35 pm

Oh I'm so glad Henry is doign better!

somechick

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:00 am

Well Henry doesn't want to go in the loft again today. I can at least shoo her up - On Thursday she would resist even that. I don't get it. Yesterday she was pretty much back to normal, but today she'll only go in the loft if I make her.

Maybe I just need to give her time?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:21 am

Now that you mention this, I remember we had a similar same thing happen with Sidney one time -- involving his haybox. I don't know what spooked him, but he suddenly wouldn't go near the box and would slowly approach it, then run away. After two days of that, I finally ended up moving the hay box to another part of the cage. Problem solved.

What is your ramp made of? Is there any way to change it enough to make it non-scary to Henry? Another type of lining?

somechick

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Tonight she seems better again. Maybe she's just getting back into the swing of things since her scare.

My ramp is wood, and it has sides. I have a crib liner (it's flannel so when they start to walk up and down it gets worn and there's traction) as the part they walk on, on top of the wood.

I'm sure I could change it, but what's sturdier than wood?

maremma

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:49 am

How is Henry doing now? I am trying to imagine their pen in my head. I am guessing that hay often winds up ON the ramp too? When you scrubbed her pen how did you clean the ramp?

I have had to replace wooden things that had been scent stained. Especially Max's wooden hidey box he so loves but keeps winding up getting wee stains on the bottom edges. I would scrub it with vinegar water to try to get the smell out and it would resurface in a day or two.

I am assuming you had used non treated and non coated wood since it is in with your babies and since paint and stains etc would be dangerous to put in with our babies, even if they are covered with cloth. Safe yes but also much more readily absorbant and drawing. If the problem continues perhaps swapping the wood out for a fresh new piece will help her. She may still be able to smell what scared her in the wood.

Since you put new cloth on her ramp perhaps she simply is just readjusting. I am sure they get used to how the ramp is "suppose" to feel and her delicate little feet Surely she would notice the difference between worn and brand new fleece!

If she still seems just fine once she is up on the loft with the hay, one would have to assume the hay smells good to her and only the ramp is scaring her now right?

somechick

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:55 am

The wood is plain, untreated, unpainted, unstained. It's just a 6"x24" plank, and the sides are 4"x20". I didn't know how to clean wood exactly so I just used a cloth and the Cage Clean stuff on it mildly. *I* can't smell the ramp, but that doesn't mean they can't.

I'm sure they can feel the difference between worn and new fleece, it's actually quite a difference. She is fine once up in her loft now, and last night she went up a handful of times. This morning I had to shoo her up. Maybe I'll make Critterberry time up in the loft to get her to go up there more. Maybe it *is* just the ramp.

I have no idea. She's got me stumped. I might be making a trip to the Home Depot this week.