Cetaphil Cleanser good for cleaning grease gland

Mittie

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:22 am

I use Cetaphil cleanser to clean my GP's grease gland. It is a liquid soap free cleanser for sensitive skin and is safe to use on (human) babies.

I put it on a q-tip or tissue and rub it on the spot that needs to be cleaned. I wait a few minutes for it to soften up the build up then take a tissue or another q-tip to wipe it off. The grease build up just slides off. Then I wipe with a damp cloth.

I tried dawn and other things but I had to scrub and my piggies hated it.
(I did check with the vet to make sure it was ok before I used it)

rshevin

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:40 am

Well isn't that interesting. Just be sure to wrap them in a towel so they can't ingest anything. That might be worth a try for my boys, although I have had luck with coconut oil. My Smudgie, who I never thought even had a grease gland, has started getting all icky sticky the past month or so. I think he was just too malnourished to waste fat on something so silly in the past.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:44 am

The manufacturer, Galderma Laboratories, tests on animals.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:54 am

Sef-
Cetaphil cream is the only thing that helps my husband and my neice's horrible skin condition.

Sef, I hate that animal testing occurs, but as for Cetaphil itself, it is classified as a pharmecutical, so animal testing is required for approval of the active ingredients. As for the fact that cosmetic are tested in related companies, I don't like that, but families heath wins out here!

There are other products that fall under the same family of companies (Nestle, Galderma, Alcon, etc, etc) that I use for my pigs, such as Natural tears eye lubricant in conjuction with eye issues.

And I am eating gobstoppers right now, which are made by Wonka, which is owned by Nestle, which owns Galderma, etc. And I work for Alcon, which is owned by Nestle, etc, etc.

I may be a hypocrite, but at least I am a knowlegable one.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 am

Who can't spell, looking back at my post! Sorry, it is early!

rshevin

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:06 am

"I may be a hypocrite, but at least I am a knowlegable one."

Hum, that's oddly respectable to me. I look forward to the day when man will invest enough time and money in technology to eliminate animal testing. I hope I live long enough to see it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:55 pm

Me, too, rshevin. In the meantime, I feel it's useful to share info about the companies that do animal testing, so that we can make informed choices and look for alternatives when it's practical to do so. ;-)

Mittie

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:41 pm

I have no choice but to use the Cetaphil. I have extremely sensitive skin and I have to use it because I have periorificia (Facial) dermatitis.

I hate that companies test medications and other products on animals but one of my piggies, Pigglett, has extremely sensitive skin. Things like Dawn dish detergent are too harsh for him. This is the only thing that doesn't turn his skin bright red and make it peel.

We've had him a year and 4 months. He was a rescue pig and lady that runs the rescue said that when she took him in he had mites and ringworm.

His poor skin was traumatized she had to get him healthy before he could be adopted. So, I have to be careful what I bath him in or use to clean him. I don't want to irritate his delicate skin so this is what I use.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Mittie- Cetaphil is great on dry skin, isn't it? I am lucky, becuase I can get any type of it at cost from work, at the company store.

I am glad it has worked for you and your pig!

LandosMomma

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:57 pm

I juat wanted to chime in and give praise for the Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil. It has the ani-fungal properties and is amazing for the grease gland. It has done a wonderful job on my 2 skinny girls skin.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:06 am

Where do you find it, LandosMomma?

rshevin

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:09 am

Natural foods and health food stores or, of course, the internet.