Should I worry? Lazy "rag doll" pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:03 am

It's still a work in progress but does include some valuable info. You can thank Mum for getting advice from her vets and putting up her own info and Talishan for sending me a copy of the article to summarize.

I think Lotensin is more benign and is a better choice than enalapril.

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:26 am

Then I say "Thank you so much, Mum and Talishan as well!"

Thanks for the tip on Lotensin!

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:08 am

I finally got a call back from the vet yesterday!

The testresults are back, and Poppy's albumine values are very high, indicating a renal failure. And guess what? My vet suggested to put her on Fortekor for that!

I will start her on the medicine tomorrow (the pharmasy had to order it) - 0.75 mg/day. That is perhaps a bit low, but has a practical reason, as we can only get hold of 2.5 mg pills.

But now when thinking about it the vet can't be that good in math, because 2.5 / 4 is not 0.75, but 0.625! Isn't that too little? I think the usual dose is 1 mg /kg, and she is about 1.2 - 1.3 kg, so maybe half a pill is more right?

I am very excited to see if there will be any change in her behaviour - she has been very sedate lately.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:13 am

You might get your pharmacy to compound it into a liquid.

I have mine compounded at 2mg/ml and give my pigs 1mg twice daily (which is 0.5cc if it's compounded this way).

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:21 am

Since I have seen you have suggested that for others I have asked about that, but there are some strange rules preventing the local pharmacy from compounding medicines like yours do. It could be done by a big laboratory in Oslo, but I was told that would be very expensive. (In fact the lady said it was so expensive I should rather get an other guinea pig! - I managed to be polite - barely!)

Do you think it is possible to just dissolve a pill in some liquid and use that in stead?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:26 am

You can compound it yourself if you're extremely careful to disolve the tablets properly.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18899

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:51 am

Thank you - I will read the information carefully!

Edit to say: What exactly is Ora-plus and Ora-sweet? Will any liquid do?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:08 am

It's a special compounding liquid. Perhaps you could contact a human pharmacy to see if there is anything you can purchase. Must be refrigerated after compounding (I think).

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:13 am

Thank you, Lynx! I will ask at the pharmacy when I pick up the medicine tomorrow.

poppypiggy

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:33 am

A little update: I asked for compounding liquid at the pharmacy, but was referred to the lab at the local children's hospital - they *might* have something like that, I was told.

I have not contacted them yet, just dissolved half a tablet in 1 ml of water and given Poppy .5 ml, and than the rest the next day. That seems to work fine for now.

I have not been able to see any difference in Poppy's behavior, but the vet doesn't think that is to be expected for a week or two, maybe more.

The vet is a bit reluctant on the dosing, though, but we decided to continue with the low dose (.625 mg/day) for 10 - 14 days and then increase dose if no improvement occurs.

Has anybody had some experience with the use of Fortekor for renal failure?

I would very much appreciate any input on this!

By the way: The vet again said that she is *so* impressed with Guinea Lynx, and especially with the references, as that makes her assured that advice found here is not just "taken out of the air", as she said it. (I almost said "As I told you!" but managed to hold my tongue!)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:46 pm

I found a 2005 post by Pinta:

My current kidney pig hasn't needed lasix yet but he has heart problems and is on Fortekor. Twice daily subcues for him as well.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ure#580322

Don't know the answer to your question though.

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Thanks for the link! It doesn't answer my question, as you point out, but at least I think I am understanding more of the connection between heart problems and renal failure after reading it.

For now I will continue giving Poppy the low dose of Fortekor to see if she improves, and then discuss a higher dose with my vet if not.