Miss Cleo has lice and gas...

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Your lice problem should have cleared up by now!

If you still have a problem, try dosing with plain Advantage.

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Do the nits fall off on their own?

I thought that I had to comb them out. I am to dose them again with Revolution and I am going to dose them with intervec tonight as well.
I never did see any lice just the nits on the bottom of the hair by her ears. My other three have the nits as well. Do I still try and comb them out and dose again with both or forget the combing and just dose?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:17 pm

I'd not bother with combing - just dose them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:19 pm

The casings will be visible for some time (I guess, unless you remove them like you're doing). You should not see any bugs though.

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:21 pm

Thanks!
Whew, I was worried there for a bit.
I haven't seen any bugs whatsover so that is a relief.
I will dose them then and try a better comb but if I can't get them all I won't stress my piggies out.

thanks so much for you help.

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:06 pm

I noticed about two weeks ago that Miss Cleo was squeaking in pain when she was peeing/pooping and saw a spot of blood on her towel she was also bloated.

I took her into the vet and they took and xray and she was full of gas again. I have been giving her critical care for 7 days about 50 to 75 cc a day.

I noticed that she would poop out a ball of smooshy stuff after the critical care. Now she is not doing that which is good. Also I was giving her met cam daily for 7 days.

She is really good at taking it, she will reach for the syringe if I am not fast enough. She also takes vitiman C from my hand as well.

Her bloating is down alot and she is no longer squeaking when she poops. Her poops are mostly normal a little bit smaller than my males but drier than they have been.

I have been still giving her a feeding of critical care every second day. Does it hurt to keep on giving her the critical care?
I am feeding her KM pellets, timothy hay and limited veggies for now.
Does it sound like she might have had a bit of a blockage?

I have ordered a cavy kit from little piggie marketplace and hope to use some of the supplies from there as well.

Should I ask my vet for reglan? She seemed pretty cavy savvy and was really good with Miss Cleo.

thanks

Sandie

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:21 pm

Are you using any motility drugs and/or simethicone?
You can continue with the critical care.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:55 pm

If she squeals in pain when she defecates and there is blood, you may want to have the vet rule out UTI or stones.

Simethicone should help with gas. Drier/ smaller poops may signal dehydration.

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:19 pm

They did take an xray which showed no stones.
She only had the one drop of blood on her towel and that's it.
I haven't been giving her any simethicone or motility drugs. The vet didn't want to go down that road yet.
If I thought she was really uncomfortable I would give her the simethicone as I have in the past.

If her poops have always been small it would be okay right?

I will keep on giving her the critical care as she is taking it so well and it can't hurt. I will take her back to the vet and suggest the motility drugs as I don't want her to be back in the state that she was.
I was just seeing what I should ask the vet about.

thanks for you help

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Why didn't the vet want to give her anything for the gas/ bloat symptoms?

sandwomn
We will wheek you

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:16 pm

I think she was thinking that the critical care would get her gut moving. She gave me metcam for any pain that she was having.
I would have preferred to give her the simethicone so that she would have relief right away.
The metcam helped but I could tell when she needed her next dose and felt bad for her. She is not in an pain right now and the poops are normal for her.
I will continue to monitor her and bring her in for a recheck and see if we can figure out why it's happening.

thanks,

Sandie