Easy wheatgrass growing (photos), share yours too!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:24 am

Mum do you have to water it daily after you put the seeds on the vermiculite?
I just spritz it with water after the seeds are sown. You want to keep it lightly moist - it should never dry out or be totally soggy! I find it easier to use a spray bottle.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 am

How much light does wheatgrass need? My apartment has no direct sunlight. I killed a bunch of different herbs because they didn't get enough.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:37 am

Not that much - you just need enough light to green it up. Mine often sits by the stove in the kitchen - no direct sunlight there at all, just a lightish kitchen!

scozy
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:30 am

This thread is great! I sprinkled soaked seeds on wet vermiculite this morning. Image

Grow wheatgrass, grow for gourmet guinea pigs!

rshevin

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:37 pm

Ok, I was at the close-out store and they had loads of grass so I got some rye seeds and a couple of AL foil pans with plastic lids to start making my own attempt at growing my own pig treats. I have a little bit of newsprint from the grocery circular that comes in the mail. Wish me luck.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Well, I soaked my seeds overnight and spread them on wet newspaper. Now I have one more question. When do I add in this uber-nasty "slurry" mixture of pig poos that I made? Doesn't that make the house smell?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:28 pm

I don't do mine like that.

This is what I do:

put in jam jar with lid with holes in it (like a screen). Fill up jar and rinse several times, then leave with water in it soaking overnight.

12 hours later: rinse seeds and leave the jar upside down to drain.

do this about 3 or 4 more times, until you see the seeds sprouting (maybe 1/4" sprout).

At this stage spread them out on the vermiculite. Cover and keep in a dark place until they're a couple of inches high - then uncover and put in sun to green up!

rshevin

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Oh yes, I forgot they ought to sprout in the dark. I best go cover that clear plastic lid with some foil! I did wash the seeds and was very surprised at how dirty the water was that poured out. There were 2 pans and lids in the package and I have 2 entire pounds of rye seeds so I think I have plenty to experiment with. There's also some potting soil in the basement from who knows when that I could use too although I am loving the dirt-free method.

It would be nice if I could avoid having to use this nasty slurry fertilizer. It just looks really, really, really gross.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:19 pm

Mum thanks for the reminder how to do it, I tried last week and they sprouted but then all molded and died.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:11 am

Wow! It grew! It's been exactly one week and lookie what I have in my kitchen window

Is it time to trim and feed the piggies yet?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:13 am

Perfect - you can feed it now! Or you can wait a few days until it's taller and greener and the bottom.

You can get a second cutting out of this too, if you keep watering it.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:14 am

But do not let the piggies sit in it and eat it if you want a second cutting. They will enjoy it immensely and rip it out by the roots!