Chronic Bloating

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:48 pm

I'll only indroduce one to two types of veggies [over a] few days...

Yes, go very slowly. It may take a few days to show a problem. You want to identify the specific veg that is causing it. Avoid fruits.

Shirl123

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:56 am

Thanks for your advice. Milly's bloating has reduced quite a bit this morning, although she still has gas in her. I'll try pedialyte today, to try and get as much fluid into her as I can, to see if that helps.

maremma

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:05 pm

Is Milly still on the reglan? I think I misunderstood. I thought you had stopped it and she was no longer on it.

My experience with reglan is limited to my first boy on it who was in actual stasis and my BigBilly who was not in actual stasis but needs the extra help to keep food moving because his intestines are being pushed over to one side. With both of them I noticed more improvement once they were on it several days.

It helped right away for BigBilly to get more poops coming out but it took a few day before he became regular. I wish I could put Sweetpea on it after seeing the vast improvement in Big Billy. That and the simethicone sure helped him toot and poop all the gas out of him.

How is Milly doing now? Is she eating pellets and hay now or is she still restricted to only hay?

Is she still being given the probiotic every day? I wouldn't stop that even if you don't think it is helping. With all she is going through she needs the extra support to her gut flora.

Shirl123

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:03 pm

Milly is still on the metoclopramide, but I am reducing the dose so that I can stop it over the next few days. (We have to have tablets crushed in water in the UK, we don't have reglan). Sorry if I confused you. It definately helps her, as without it, she gets much bigger.

I kept her to the hay-only diet for just over 48 hours. There was a big improvement after about 18 hours, but then she started to pass blood in her wee, and bloated up a bit again, but not as much as before.

She is now back on pellets, and I'm giving her smallish portions of veggies three times a day. So far there dosen't seem to be a reaction to veggies that I've given her.

She now has a bladder problem on top of the bloat. (It could be that the bladder problem has been making the bloat worse). Her bladder is very painfull, poor little thing. The vet did an ultrasound today; there is no sign of stones, but the bladder walls are much thicker than they should be. So she is now on antibiotics as well, while the vet checks a urine sample for crystals.

I'm only giving Milly one dose of simethicone a day now, but I will keep Milly on the probiotic for some time. Fortunately, she loves it, and will take as much as I give her. The other two pigs almost pull the syringe out of her mouth! She didn't think much of the UK version of pedialyte, though. I've bought another flavour to try on her later, as I'm hoping it will help to get as much fluid into her as I can.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:26 pm

What AB were you given for the bladder problem?

Shirl123

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Milly is on Baytril. The bottle says "Oral Suspension 2.5%", the doseage is 0.2ml twice a day. She went off her food a bit when she was on Baytril a few years ago, but she wasn't on probiotics then, which she is now. She's getting her probiotics an hour or so after the AB, and seems OK so far. The vet hasn't got back to me yet about the urine sample. I will phone him tomorrow, if I don't hear from him first.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:50 pm

She may do better on bactrim - and this is more commonly prescribed for bladder issues.

I wouldn't put a pig back on baytril who had previously shown signs of intolerance.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:59 pm

Ditto Mum. Watch carefully for intolerance. In my experience (I am not a vet), the organisms most often involved in bladder issues respond readily to Bactrim.

maremma

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:25 am

How is she doing today? Joey just had a UTI. I was fortunate he cleared withing a few days of bactrum and cranberry juice treatment.

Are you giving her cranberries? If she won't eat them you can put whole cranberries in a food chooper with some plain water and mix the daylights out of it. You can then either put the very finey crushed cranberries into a feeding syringe ot get them into her or if you managed ot get juice suck it up a drinking one and get the juice into her that way.

Cranberries coat the urinary system and help prevent bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract walls so the antibiotics have less bacteria to kill off and can work more quickly. It also aids in pain relief because of the coating.

Another plus is it's ability to help break down sludge to slow or prevent stone growth. Some have reported literal stones being broken down far enough it could pass without surgery but I have no personal experience with that aspect.

Shirl123

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:02 pm

Well, you were right about the Baytril. Milly has swollen up like a balloon, with more air than before. The Baytril is in the bin, Milly has gone back to the vet.

She was right off her food this morning, with only tiny poops coming out. I tied the mineral oil and the massage cushion last night, but it didn't have any effect. The vet has kept Milly in again. He's going to try and get her insides moving overnight, so we should be able to collect her tomorrow. I think the AB he said he was going to put her on now was Septrin, as she had that when she was spayed, so hopefully she will be OK on that.

There is no sign of blood in her wee now, and the urine sample showed no crystals. She doesn't normally have to have ABs for UTIs. I normally treat her with barley water, and if it doesn't clear within 2 days, I also give her 100% cranberry juice, with a liitle water added and this has always worked before.

I am wondering if she may have Interstitial Cystitis. I mentioned it to the vet, and he said it is possible. I read somewhere that with Interstitial Cystitis, it's thought that cranberry juice may actually cause more irritation to the bladder, so I have stopped that for the time being. I have been trying to find the Chinese herbal medicine, Shilintong, but I haven't been able to find it on the net in the UK. I've asked a few Chinese Herbalists, and they have similar products, but I daren't risk them, as I don't know if they're safe for Milly. I may have to order Shilintong from the US.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:23 pm

If you're still having trouble finding shilintong and want to try a sample, I have a small amount left over from when we were trying to help Peppi with his stones that I could send you. Contact me through the mailer if you're interested.

maremma

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:41 pm

Oh no the poor little baby! Is the vet taking the air off of her with a needle or a tube down her throat under anesthesia or just with higher doses of the reglan? (I personally chose the tube down the throat under anesthesia for Sweetpea because of the risk of septicemia with the needle procedure was more than I could cope with. )

How long are you sitting her on the massager after you give her mineral oil? Do you do it once or several times a day? One round doesn't usually help Sweetpea much either. Generally I have to push fluids, give the .3 mls of oil sit her on the massager for at least 20 minutes, three times a day and she only begins to do better the following day. If she is still as deflated as she should be we do it again the next day. Sweetpea of course gets a lot of floor time along with this routine though whereas Milly can't.

If the reglan was helping to at least keep her from bloating worse I do not understand why she is being taken off of it? The more air in her the higher the risk for necrosis etc. Will a different med be tried instead?