Arthritis advice

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:02 pm

I'm one of the ones whose arthritic pigs do better on Rimadyl. Ask your vet about it.

I strongly second the suggestions for firmer footing (towels or fleece; the girls might like it too). I also second the suggestions to look further and deeper for the answer to his weight loss. Several of ours have lost weight as they aged, but if they remained healthy otherwise their weight (re)stabilized, albeit at a lower weight.

This thread has veterinary suggestions for your area if you want to seek a second opinion.

Baytril and trimethoprim are both antibiotics. Why is he on both at the same time?

riskus

Post   » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:20 am

Thanks talishan, I actually did just get a second opion and it was from Stahl. Perhaps I will get a third opinion out in blue ridge

I am not sure why he is on both of those antibiotics at the same time.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:58 pm

I'd ask the vet why both those AB's. You mention it's a separate issue in your first post, and that's fine, but that's an unusual combination. Not unheard-of, but unusual and as I understand it used only in the case of a quite serious infection.

riskus

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:53 pm

Mr Pig passed this morning. Kind of unexpectedly. He ate a nice big dinner last night and I saw him eat come pellets this morning.

He was having an incredibly difficult time trying to get his back feet under him but he didnt look sick so it was a little shocking to come home to him having passed a little earlier.

Im taking him to the vet to have them find out what happened.

kristina
Supporter in '12

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 3:26 am

I am so sorry.

ellissian

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 5:59 am

Im sorry, sleep well Mr Pig!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 9:16 am

I'm so very sorry. Please do let us know what the vet finds.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 9:45 am

I am so sorry to hear this, riskus.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 3:43 pm

I'm so sorry.

riskus

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 pm

the vet said he had an enlarged thyroid and adrenal gland that had metastisized into his lungs/kidneys/etc

He said there is a good chance that the trouble walking was because he was so weak on top of the arthritis.

He also said because of the nature of the disease its very likely he passed in his sleep which I find comforting.

This is also why even though he was still eating normally that he was losing weight.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 7:34 pm

I am glad you got some answers. But still sorry you lost him.

riskus

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 7:47 pm

thank you everyone.