Yipes! Poor Nina has a badly swollen foot!

lisam

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:16 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =fatty+eye

Here are some pictures and an explanation.

Cara

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:18 pm

Ok, E but I want to know more! I'd like to know why the inside of the eyelid would swell when there's heart issues. Bumblefoot, I can understand b/c of the poopr circulation associated with a diseased heart being unable to properly pump blood. But pea eye?

Evangeline

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:21 pm

Same deal, from what I understand. When a pig has a poor heart, some fluids build up around the heart. Sometimes, fluid also build up in the limbs, since the heart is weak and doesn't pump well. I imagine the same does goes for pea eye. Someone can confirm, though.

Lasix helps get rid of the fluids around the heart and it seems to help pea eye in the same way.

lisam

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:22 pm

Perhaps is was Pinta who noticed her heart pigs also had pea eye?

drsgr

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 12:29 pm

Thanks E! Yes, it's been too long. I'm very well, thanks. I am now teaching high school chemistry online for a cyber K-12 school and since the year is winding down, and I now have a high-speed cable hook-up, I can get back into trouble browsing my favorite spots!
I didn't realize how much I missed all you guys til I logged on.
We (dd Dani & I) still have our 3 piggers...Bear died about 18 months ago and we still really miss him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 2:38 pm

Keep in mind all fluid build up (whether or not it would affect pea eye or bumblefoot) is not heart related.

Pinta noticed that her pig (or maybe it was two) with pea eye didn't look quite so bad after receiving lasix. So it may have to do with retaining fluid in her two pigs (I think in her case the one or two pigs did have heart problems). I think some liver problems affect fluid retention also.

pinta

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 5:12 pm

Zag had confirmed heart disease(autopsy confirmation) and bad pea Eye. Her Pea Eye completely disappeared once she went on Lasix.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 17, 2003 6:41 pm

Here is Cara's pic of Sherman with pea eye. Pinta's is below (I hope)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:02 am

Yesterday I noticed one of Nina's toes/toe nails had fallen off. This was on the foot that had been badly swollen.

When the vet cleaned it out, she used a forceps and was fairly agressive, pulling out material, flushing it afterwards. I suspect she did alot of internal damage to the foot itself. It has never been normal, the toes don't spread, it does not resemble the other foot. There are a number of pics on here showing her injury and the healing process. After it was no longer wrapped, the toes all stayed together and did not spread like they do in a normal foot. Gradually old skin fell off and nice clean skin grew underneath. The underside of this foot looks pretty good.

On this right front foot, the right most toe's skin looked hard and crusted. It was the last skin to slough and must have done so with the toe nail. It looks to me like the toe has fallen off but I'm not positive.

I mention this so anyone in a similar circumstance may know that there may be problems associated from cleaning out an infection in a foot.

This is a pic of her normal foot:

This is the last pic of her injured foot that included the toe/nail. The right most toe is the one now missing:

These are pics of the injured foot and missing toe/nail (look a little left of dead center in the top and bottom pics: the bottom pic shows the slightly bloodied area better). The skin actually looks fairly healthy and the rest of the foot appears to be getting adequate circulation although it does not look normal. I still soak Nina's front feet daily. I think it helps to keep track of what's going on:

SandraVE

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:10 am

Lynx, Is Nina walking on that foot? I wonder if the nail will grow back. Did the vet say why her foot/toes don't spread out anymore? Could it be from a lack of good circulation due to the swelling? You did a great job with healing her foot though. Looks pretty good now. I wonder if you gave her a little foot massage after the soak if it would help her toes/foot some?

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:11 am

I have seen this before. That is what most of Brownie's toes looked like. There were no nails and just stubs were remaining. She had severe bumblefoot.