Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

somechick

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 10:32 am

Yeah, the vet seemed to think it would be okay, it's not invasive like a spay, etc.

I'm just still confused as to why the fever is there and why the eye goop. If her lungs are clear, that's good, but she's not acting herself. I don't know if there really is a URI or if this lump is making her grumpy. We're pretty sure the lump isn't related to eye goop, but why the eye goop?

These little guys are so confusing.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 2:50 pm

Goop in one eye or both?

somechick

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 6:04 pm

Both, but her right seems worse. Goop is less today. But this evening we have blood in the urine. Not sure how this is related, if at all. And I'm also wondering why this would start AFTER she's been on the Bactrim (if it is a UTI). I put a call in to the vet, so we'll see if she calls back. Either she's not good at calling back or reception isn't good at giving messages.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 7:24 pm

Or both.

Keep us posted. Best to Henry.

somechick

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Both the ER vet, and two vets at my normal place confirmed mammary tumor. I wonder if it's not that at all but something else causing bleeding? Like pyometra? Or some other type of tumor that would cause bleeding? I do think it's odd that the Bactrim would be started and then bleeding would start if it were only a UTI. I'm concerned. I hope the vet calls.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 8:22 am

Going back to the vet tonight for an xray and urinalysis. This will tell us if it's an infection or a stone. If it is a UTI it might be resistant to Bactrim, which - she said - would be odd. If it's a stone, we'll remove it. If it's none of the above, she said we might have to spay Henry because it might be a reproductive thing. She said if it were pyometra, Henry would be in shock by now so it's probably not that.

On a side note -- am I the only one who has had Big Issues with multiple pigs? I can understand making a medical post here and there about minor things or even a big post about a big thing for one pig. But I had bad luck with Piggie Crocket and now this. Is this common? It doesn't seem like my vet has seen many pigs with as many problems as mine. It makes me feel like *I'm* the problem here, even though I know that I'm not. It just always seems to be something. Unless I only notice because it's me. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 11:17 am

I think it's the luck of the draw. Hopefully you will get through this and your pigs will be healthier.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 2:07 pm

I also wondered if it's possible that a whole litter could just have issues. I don't know 100% for sure if Henry and Piggie were sisters, but it's very possible.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 2:12 pm

My pet illnesses come in clumps, too. Right now, Cookie has ovarian cysts (being treated with Hcg), Hershey was just diagnosed with IBD and my dog has end stage cancer. I left the vet's office Monday without my bill-I don't want to know how much I owe.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 7:11 pm

Somechick, it's not you. It is the luck of the draw. Although usually folks with the bigger herds will have more multiple Big Issue pigs, the 'statistics' aren't always consistent, and genetics plays a big role with some disorders.

You pay attention, treat to the best of your ability, and ask thoughtful, intelligent, well-researched questions. That's why your vet says he hasn't seen that many pigs with disorders. The others didn't get the care they needed.

MK, best to you and your group, too. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 8:58 pm

Definitely best to you mkkayla. What a nightmare. :(

Today at the vet: they sent the urine out for culture and switched us from Bactrim to Cipro. She felt that if there were some sort of bug, the Bactrim wasn't catching it due to the bleeding after the fact. Results in on Monday. They also took an x-ray. No stones, but she saw something funny. It's hard to tell, but there's something going on with either the bladder or uterus. Once we get the results back from the culture, I think that's going to confirm our next step.

I have a feeling it's not the bladder. It's too coincidental to have a bladder infection AND this mammary tumor at the same time. I have a feeling we might need to go ahead with the spay. She said we might, but she hopes we don't. Now we wait.

somechick

Post   » Thu May 03, 2007 5:54 pm

And on the Cipro, I'm already noticing a decrease in appetite. No poops this afternoon and only 3g missing from her pellet bowl all day. Still eats veggies though.

My vet isn't in today. I'll call tomorrow, but in the mean time: do I take her off it? If so, switch back to Bactrim or just leave her off anything for now.