Attention Multiple Boar owners...

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 11:22 am

My trio of Steve, Jules and Neal were all unrelated boars. Neal was a little troublesome until he turned 1, but now he's fine.

When Steve and then Jules died, I moved in the Little Savages, who had up til then been living as a trio (they are brothers) but Red and Gopher wouldn't settle so now it's Red, Gus and Neal in one pen and Gopher in another.

Boars need a lot of room. And additional cups, bowls, bottles, hiding spots, etc.

Olwen

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 11:30 am

I have 4 boars. Three of them are living in a 2 X 5 and one agressive guy is in a 2 X 2 bachelor pad. I am still hopeful that all four can live together, but I am taking it slowly for now.

My three get along pretty good and I have 2 young ones, and an older guy. I am hoping one day to expand and bit more on the cage and give them more room. 2 X 5 seems cramped once you get all their stuff in there.

With the three together, they got along ok from go. I wouldn't say they're close, but they don't fight. I did the buddy bath and floor time, then moved to the clean cage.

MommasMenagerie

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 1:46 pm

Thanks for all the stories and advice. I currently have my 2 young boys in a 2x5 cage and will be adding on a 3x3 so they will have roughly 25 sqft for the 3 of them. I am making arrangements in case the 3 don't get along as well as I hope from the beginning...but sounds like age is a big issue so I'm optimistic that if it dosen't work out in the beginning, it might in time. I already have multiple dishes, hidey huts..etc. I may have to try the buddy bath...hope for the best but plan for the worst!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 2:50 pm

I think it all depends on the personality. If you have 2 very dominant boars, there's always going to be bickering at the very least unless the cage is REALLY large and each dominant boar has a "posse" of subordinates. If you have one dominant boar and a bunch of subordinate boars who are content to to let the dominant one boss them around and look out for them, it'll probably work out okay. I guess. Other than the factor of adolescent boars being total turds.

Jennicat

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Other than the factor of adolescent boars being total turds.

Agree 100%. When the boys were teenage hellions, I'd see one of them stand up for no reason, walk over to the sleeping group across the cage, and randomly bite at another pig.

ellissian

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 4:14 pm

How old are they when they go throught this teenage faze?

cuddlycavy

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 4:24 pm

I have a trio in a 2 x 5. Mr. Boots is pretty old but not sure how old exactly and Elvis & Costello are unrelated "teenage" boys. They are about 5 and 7 months I believe. They all seem to get along ok although they do have some squables. Elvis seems to be the biggest turd. I haven't seen any fights just bickering. Mr. Boots knows how to hold his own so he doesn't get pushed around.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 5:23 pm

Has anybody tried merging two pairs? I've got two older guys (3 years) and two younger guys (1 1/2 years) living in separate rooms right now. When son goes to college, I was considering making a larger C&C and housing all 4 together in my office. I have no idea how that might change the dynamics, e.g., will the more dominant of each pair tustle to be number #1 or will all 4 start messing with each other and establish a new pecking order?

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 6:23 pm

I have tried to get my 3-4 year old boars to get along, but no success yet.

MommasMenagerie

Post   » Sun May 06, 2007 12:39 am

Well I've put the 3 boys together and so far its going ok, not wonderful but ok. There is alot of rumblestrutting and chasing, with a little teeth chattering thrown in. So far, no major fights or tussles but I have to say its mighty stressful just letting them figure it out. I'm cautiously optimisitic, but really must say that I'm saddened because they are stressed and so worried about playing the dominance game that they don't seem to overly happy. I haven't seen any popcorning....I'm hoping that will come later. Any idea how long this dominance game can take?

I feel bad because the 2 youngest were quite content with each other and now they all seem driven to be top pig. I'm feeling regretful in a sense that I adopted a 3rd piggie, but he is such a cutie and he needed rescuing....but am feeling 3 is a crowd. I woke up this morning thinking to myself maybe I should seperate and get a 4th piggie, having 2 pairs but my luck is that wouldn't work either!

MommasMenagerie

Post   » Sun May 06, 2007 12:39 am

Double post
Last edited by MommasMenagerie on Sun May 06, 2007 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MommasMenagerie

Post   » Sun May 06, 2007 12:40 am

Third post...ugh!