Im trying not to panic but.......

ellissian

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 5:08 pm

Poppy has just ate a piece of ribbon!!

She always like to snuggle up inside my dressing gown and I felt a tug. I checked and saw a small piece of ribbon hanging out of her mouth! I tried to grab it but I was too late she had ate it.

Im not sure how long the piece was. She is happily eating, drinking and acting normal.

But I am very worried about her.

Should I panic or not!

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 5:11 pm

I vote no because panic never helps.

ellissian

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 5:11 pm

I know it doesnt but I still am!

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 5:12 pm

Then why did you ask! Silly goose.

ellissian

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Cause Im a silly goose of course!

How long should it take to come out of her system, about 12 hours?

rshevin

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 5:14 pm

Believe it or not, Piggy ate a pretty large piece of ribbon once. I would say definitely not to feed it to a pig, but he passed it just fine. I never even saw pieces in his poohs. Keep an eye on his appetite and weight but no panic required.

ellissian

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 5:15 pm

Do you think she will be ok, she is still a baby.

Lunasmom

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 6:19 pm

This applied to a cavy eating bedding ??...Hope this helps

The best thing to do would be force feed her unflavored pedialyte, and fill her water bottle with it. This will get her rehydrated and help flush anything out. Unfortunatly guinea pigs can not vomit, so things have to come out the other end. If she has diarrea that means she is trying to expell the bedding that she ate, which is ok, just make sure she stays hydrated. If she is pooping less, or it is deformed, then you may want to give her a mouth full of vegetable oil to help get out anything still in her digestive system

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 6:23 pm

Ellissian, do you want this moved to Medical? More of the med pros might see it there.

How big (your best guess, mm x mm) was the piece she got?

I would think ribbony/cloth stuff would pose less of a threat, and be easier to pass, than plastic, but I don't know that for sure.

ellissian

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 6:49 pm

Im not sure Talishan.

Im guessing it was around 30mm, but I cant be sure. The ribbon is 5mm wide.

Ive just got out of bed to check on her again, she is eating as usual. But I guess its to early to know if there is going to be a problem.

She is always trying to eat things she shouldnt, she pulls on your clothing all the time which I thought she was doing till I saw the ribbon hanging out of her mouth!

I always worry about her more as she is the only baby left from the orphaned tread.

Should I try feeding her Dioralyte or veg oil or wait?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 7:39 pm

I'm gonna move you. I've no good idea on Dioralyte/veg oil or wait.

Do you think she ate the entire piece?

ellissian

Post   » Fri May 04, 2007 7:55 pm

Yes