Im trying not to panic but.......

klynne

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 3:16 am

Keep her majorly hydrated, call the vet and make sure you have an emergency plan, just in case.

Post the emergency numbers now, and directions if it's an ER clinic you're not familiar with, because those are the last things we humans can do efficiently and correctly when we are panicking. Do it in a moment of calm, and then hopefully you won't need all that.

Watch for signs of GI discomfort, gassiness, bloating, sitting hunched, really any significant change in behavior.

Other than that, fluids, and monitor poops, and think good thoughts.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 3:22 am

What is it with pigs eating things they're not supposed to? Linus helped himself to a plastic bag a few days ago.

ellissian

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 4:55 am

Its been 12 hours since, she is acting normal.

If there was going to be problem, would I know by now?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 7:46 am

Yes. I believe stuff goes through their system in 8-12 hours.

I had one pig eat glass without issues (not something I ever want repeated). Ribbon? No sweat.

ellissian

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 7:47 am

Thanks

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 10:19 am

And yet they'll turn up their noses at perfectly good pellets. Silly things.

Glad to hear Poppy is doing okay.

somechick

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 12:21 pm

I don't have PROOF that one of my pigs ate a piece of ribbon, but: I used a piece of ribbon once to tie their potty to their cage. Then one day it was gone and I couldn't find it. I didn't know which one ate it (if that's what in fact happened) but both of the pigs were fine and never showed problems.

ellissian

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 1:56 pm

In a strange kind of way, Im pleased to know other peoples pigs have ate things they shouldnt and have been ok.

She must be ok, as her poops are normal shape and colour. I havent managed to find the ribbon yet. She is not bloated and is eating, drinking and acting perfectly normal.

Can I stop worrying now?

somechick

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 2:21 pm

I never found the ribbon either. When one of my pigs decided to eat her coroplast, I just figured she chewed it up too small to be able to be visible when passed in poop. It's not like she swallowed a screw whole or anything, y'know? So your pigs are probably fine.

If it were me, I'd probably stop worrying and just keep an eye on them for a couple of days for any changes in behviour or output.

milly
Supporting the Bored

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 3:08 pm

Stop worrying. She's fine. But maybe just check a few more times before you go to bed : )

ellissian

Post   » Sat May 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Milly, I worry about that particular pig all the time. Even when there is nothing to worry about!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun May 06, 2007 12:22 am

My vet said that something not so digestible could hang out in the gut for as long as 48 hours, but because guinea pig GI systems are designed to break down hay, it is possible they can break down a lot of other crazy things, too.