Scooter has lost weight

DaCourt

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 1:14 am

Well, I have had pigs for 4 years now and this is my first medical thread. I looked in on the pigs tonight to give them hay, pellets and to check the water. I filled the pellet bowl and Scooter was the first one there. He happily munched away. Then I gave them hay, and he ran downstairs and dove into the middle of the pile, like always. I filled the water and he ran to drink. About 20 minutes later Courtney had him out of the cage cuddling him. She handed him to me because he pooped and peed on her. He seemed small to me so I weighed him. He has dropped almost 150 grams in 5 days.

His eyes and nose are clear, he is eating and drinking, and is peeing and pooping. I asked Courtney if he seemed to be in pain, like did he squeel when he peed and pooped on her and she said no. I am not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

lisam

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 10:16 am

How old is he? Can he eat carrots and apple peels with no problems?

DaCourt

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 11:15 am

He is 3 1/2. Not sure about carrots and apples. I did start hand feeding him last night. It appears to be his teeth. When I started to feed him it was like he had not eaten in weeks. He was starving. When I gave veggies later, I watched him and at first glance, it appeared he was eating. Then I oticed he was just picking at it, and would then hop around and pick at another piece.

I have an appointment for him today.

lisam

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 12:33 pm

Ooh, yes. It does sound like it. Teeth, or perhaps a mouth abscess, or maybe even something stuck?

DaCourt

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 12:42 pm

I have an appointment today, but not with the vet I wanted. I ccould not get in with him until Saturday. Not sure if I should wait for him or just see the next available vet.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 4:39 pm

Sorry this has hit him so quickly.

I've seen this sort of dramatic weightloss with stones, but not with teeth. Also with a mouth abscess. While he may also have a teeth issue, I'd still get an xray to rule out other things.

I would only have a particular vet deal with teeth issues, but anybody can do an xray/exam.

DaCourt

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 5:25 pm

Dr. R is not in the office until late tomorrow and is not available until Sat morning. I have been hand feeding him every 2-3 hours and he is so happy. He is already showing signs of weigh gain. No much, but it is a start.

I will have to go back and check my book to make sure I am right about the last time we weighed him. We normally do it Friday evenings before veggies. I honestly can't remember if we did them or not now. I know we did the fosters. But now that I am thinking about it, I honestly can't remember if we did them. How can I not remember? I do dremember what his weight was though the last time. It was down at that time around 15 grams. But the week before that he was up 10 grams.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 5:53 pm

" ... but not with teeth ... "

I have. And the pig was apparently, to casual observation eating just fine. No other standard dental signs were present, until they got into his mouth. Then they found a mess.

Ditto Mum, however. I strongly suspect some form of mouth problem, but if he were my pig I'd want an x-ray and thorough exam, too.

Caveat: my experience screams at me not to let *anyone* who doesn't know cavy teeth look in a cavy's mouth. My inclination would be to wait until Saturday for Dr. R. and handfeed him aggressively. Mum is right, though; anyone reasonably savvy can do an x-ray and exam. That would be two vet visits, though.

How well is he holding his weight and/or gaining with handfeeding?

DaCourt

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 6:06 pm

I actually just decided that too, since he is eating fine with hand feeding. I am going to get CC tonight. I scheduled time with Dr. R on Saturday morning.

He has actually gained a little already. I weighed him right before his last feeding. I need to get him some vit. C too. Going to get that in a little bit.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 10, 2007 11:29 pm

I hope it's just teeth. Do let us know what Dr R. says on Saturday.

DaCourt

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 7:27 pm

Scooter is home from the vet. I made all the arrangements before I went so they had time already scheduled for him to have the teeth done. He of course showed no signs of anything being wrong with him, by popcorning all around the table and even in Dr. R's arms. Then when he was holding him, he licked his face and peed and pooped all over him. Dr. R was like...that answers my next question regarding pooping and peeing. He picked one up and said...perfect shap, color and consistancy. Courtney laughed at that.

His teeth were taken care of. They even gave him a nail trim while he was there. I had given him a butt cleaning, but they cleaned him out even better. By the time I got there to pick him up, he was already up and trying to eat.

We have metecam for 10 days, and continue hand feeding for 4-5 days, or longer if needed. We go back for a recheck in 3 weeks.

Thank you everyone for your input.

lisam

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 8:54 pm

Sounds great! Here's to a speedy recovery.